2 way with two mid/bass and one tweeter!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
Im a long time lurker. I have limited experience. Hence the reason I’m posting this question. I am a musician and am wanting to make a acoustic cabinet with two drivers (celestial tf0818) both 8 ohm and one tweeter (Sb acoustics 26adc) 4 ohm. Is this possible? And sound good? Thnx for input:))

Celestion TF0818 is PA (sound reinforcement) midbass driver, so don't expect bass below 100 Hz. If you want to build a hi-fi loudspeaker, look for other alternatives. Tweeter SB26ADC has only 90 db sensitivity, which is no match for high 94 dB sensitivity of TF00818.

Forget the piezo KSN 1005 clones, they are horrible, much worse than original Motorola.
I would suggest tried and tested project, such as "HiFi-PA" from German loudspeaker magazine Hobby HiFi 5/2012 (the satellite only, crossover without the high-pass filter for the midbass):
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente
I am sure German diyAudio members will help with the original crossover schematic (I don't have it).

I am sure German diyAudio members will help with the original crossover schematic (I don't have it).

Neither do I, but it's copyrighted material. You might buy the issue or the kit.

@Blowmymind: Humbly note the sticky thread So you want to design your own speaker from scratch!, I suggest you go for a proven design if your aim is simply to have a working speaker.

Could you give some more Igo on your intended use? Recreational listening, stage use, studio monitoring, ...?

Thnx everyone,
My intended use will be for professional use. Sort of like a pa but not for huge venues. If a huge venue it would be a stage monitor. Im Using (pat) quilter amplifier. Which is a class d amp. He is one of the past owners or stock holders that started qsc. Then he started making instrument amps. Mainly guitar and bass but they can be used as line type stuff. Anyways, I won’t be playing this at more than 30-40 watts. Also, in the end when not in use I want to be able to use it for home tv and stereo use. I’m hoping to get something better than what is commonly available.

Now that's a wide application spectrum! Seems you need something from the PA world, which has a sub forum here as well.How low must it go, since you want to play bass over it too? And you need a passive box with crossover? Any other constraints - money, size, weight, water protection, ...?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, that won't work. The Celestion TF0818 got 93dB 1W/m (which equals 2,83V at 8 Ohm), two of them in parallel will do +3 dB for the double membrane surface and +3 dB for the double power because of the halved impedance, that means, you're at 99dB. Your SB26ADC-C000-4 only makes 90dB at 2,83V, that's already 2W because it's a 4 Ohm tweeter. You cannot gain more spl at the tweeter, it will be way too quiet. Even if you'd go active, the tweeter can get nowhere near the spl of the mid-bass drivers because it can't take even nearly that much power needed for that. I'm sorry but that combination will not work. The SB tweeter is good but a completely wrong choice for your planned speaker.

Use a cheap but good sounding compression driver and a horn and you're good to go. I.e. a RCF CD1411-M (65 bucks) or a Celestion CDX1-1445 (55 bucks) + 18s XT120 horn (20 bucks). Both drivers sound very good (I prefer the Celestion) and are easy to handle.

There's a kit with ONE TF0818 and a horn here: Menhir-S
It comes out at 89dB.

I think you have two options:
1. Find a recommendable kit that uses your SBA tweeter and finish that. Do not use for live music - ain't built for that.
2. Sell the tweeter and get a kit that fulfils your requirements.

You may combine both :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.