Henkus-Reinz P1500: Shorted speaker cable, now dead

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Renkus-Heinz P1500: Shorted speaker cable, now dead

A friend of mine has an old Renkus-Heinz P1500. One of the speaker cables shorted (it was run over a hot pipe and the insulation and sheating melted exposing the bare wires) and now the amp seems dead. He asked me to have a look at it.

When I got there, the amp was still on and they hadn't even removed the faulty cable. The fans of the amp were running at full speed. I immediately switched of the amp disconnected the speaker cables. I let the amp sit for 30 minutes or so and turned it back on. The fans came on briefly, switched off for a few seconds, then started to run on at full speed. I played some music but the "Signal" LEDs didn't even lite up. So yeah, My guess is there's something wrong with this amp. :)

I don't know much about amps at all but I do have some basic knowledge of electronics. I know how to handle a solder machine and a multimeter. Can this amp still be saved?

You can find this amp's service manual here. (link fixed)

If it's not worth the trouble, what would be a good (cheap) replacement amp? It only needs to drive two JB-Systems Vibe 15 MK2 speakers .

Thanks!

Last edited:
Joined 2011
A friend of mine has an old Henkus-Reinz P1500. One of the speaker cables shorted
(it was run over a hot pipe and the insulation and sheating melted exposing the bare
wires) and now the amp seems dead.

Time for a new amp and speaker wires (Teflon, perhaps?).
A cheap Chinese digital amp should be good enough,
or some locally sourced used amp.

Last edited:
Ok, something very, very odd happened. My original post disappeared. :confused:

So here it is in a nutshell:

A friend of mine has an old Henkus-Reinz P1500. One of the speaker cables shorted (it was run over a hot pipe and the insulation and sheating melted exposing the bare wires) and now the amp seems dead.

I disconnected the cables, and now when I turn on the amp, the fans turn at full speed (even though the amp is not hot at all) and even though the mixer is outputting at max to the amplifier, the Signal LED does not come on.

No sound can be heard from either channel. So I was wondering if this is an easy fix. I know little about amplifiers but I do have some basic electronics knowledge and can handle a solder machine and a multimeter.

Perhaps one of you experts can have a look at the service manual here and tell me what could be fried?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.