Custom Build Mixing Console

Hi guys,

As I always dreamed about building my own custom mixing desk we decided to start building one. I know it's more oriented to studio etc but here it goes. We started this around a year ago. For the basic preamp we use the neve 1084 design. We like the sound of this preamp and have good experience with building this preamp. We then devised a way to make Inline modules based on the 1084 and also added a balanced insert point. There is ofcourse a lot more to it then this.

The power supply is 3phase Full wave rectification. This way it will have low ripple and the buffer capacitors will have an easy life and will last long. A neve 1084/1073 wants a good power supply. The concept of this console is also to build something that will last and if something happens the session can continue and it can easily be fixed. The raw rectified power supply is then split up in 4 seperate lines. In the console are the smaller power supplies using lm317/lm337. there is one small power supply for each pair of channels. So if something fails the rest will keep on going.

Then the VU meters are set to 8dbu=0VU. Normally this should be 4dbu = 0VU but for some reason today's engineer like to record quite hot.....don't know why you would do that when you have 24bit adc....... but ok. Doing this we avoid that the meters are continuously pegged to the right....

So now some pictures:

first things first and we started out with a small frame prototyping.
test1.jpg

After this was tested and checked, the work started on the frame.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And after some more work:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the work also started on the soldering some PCB's....

preamp.jpg

EQ.jpg

Elma Switches for the gain switch
elma.jpg

P&G faders

pgfader.jpg

after the channelfronts have arrived:
channelfronts.jpg

after the Faderpanels have arrived:
faderprints.jpg

The inside of 1 channel module:

inside.jpg

inside2.jpg

the power supply build:
ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

Last update untill now.
total1.jpg

VU.jpg

faderknobs.jpg

I have more photo's but this will do for now. I will add more as progress goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The frontpanels where done by schaeffer. Al the rest of the metalwork we did ourselves (even the channel module cases) The channels are based on the 19" standard.

Altough it is indeed expensive to build, if you look at what is available it's not that bad... especially if you look at the components we use. For Electrolytic caps We use Panasonic FC series. Very decent and not to expensive.

EQ caps are Wima except a few small values where we use silver mica. Pushbuttons are C&K switches Gain switch is Elma. EQ concentric switches and pots are Blore Ed. Solo/Mute/monitor buttons are EAO (these are expensive)

The thing is if you just want a mixing desk for hobby projects it would be cheaper to get some china whatever oem brand product. It will work as intended but it will not last. If you want something with very decent quality however it would be very difficult to find something to begin with and it will be VERY expensive.

Our goal is to make it last a long time and sound good.

I'll keep you guys updated when I have more to show.

Ok guys,

The EAO switches have arrived today.
Some extra photo's.

009.JPG

a close up

007.JPG

Subgroup/Master/Monitor and Talkback modules. (There will also be a VU meter module using the IN13 nixie bargraph to display peak or VU)

013.JPG

close up of monitor section

016.JPG

Still have to make an account and post it to groupdiy. (I have read a lot there but didn't post anything yet)

That is it for today.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid - but why does a console (that consists of a few small signal circuits and OPAMPS) need that size power suply?

That is a good question.

The outputs are based around the neve Class A output using a transformer and drawing around 80mA minimum.

There are 2 of those for 1 channel (It is an inline console so you have one preamp with an output that goes to TAPE/DAW/.... and you have a return that also has an output that goes to the mixbuss. So that is 160mA of continous current draw (+24v). Most of the circuits is discrete. Only the balanced insert points use more modern THAT driver/receivers. These drivers als also capable of driving 600ohms.

So add the preamp and signal led circuits and you need a minimum of 200mA continous current for 1 channel (+24) If you drive 600ohm loads on the inserts etc you need around 500mA of current available. For 32 channels that is 16A or around 350w only for the +24v You also need -24v for the that drivers/receivers etc... we made the +24/-24 the same as it was the easiest thing.

So you see it really starts to add up. and I didn't start on the switch leds etc....

Also it is best to have a power supply that can do the job easily and dn't have to worry about it.