Highest 80-16kHz Output Possible in a 18L box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys

Sorry for the title

I could use your wisdom

Been asked to conduct a difficult task.

To create a high output loudspeaker in a very small 18L box. The dimensions are approximately 390mm x 310mm x 150mm (H x W x D).

I believe the depth can be increased by up to c.200mm at the compromise of the aesthetics of the design.

I also believe it may be acceptable to mount a horn on top of the enclosure rather than within, again at a compromise to the aesthetics.

The speaker will need to extend down to 80Hz and will primarily be used for outdoor music events and announcements with a subwoofer.

Currently, they have a D&B E3 shoved in the box so I guess that sets my goal for dispersion as they're happy with that, but would like less distortion and higher output ... Of course.

My thinking, If D&B can do it, so can I.

I have access to brilliant processing and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'd like to get the acoustic system as good as possible first.

A few current ideas

1 - Coaxial 8 or 10 inch (with a small waveguide to aid with directivity like a Danley SM100)
Pros: Easy to build, doesn't compromise aesthetics, nimble
Cons: May not have enough output within the operating band

2 - Coaxial 12 inch (B&C 12CXN76 or 88 or similar)
Pros: Easier to build, doesn't compromise aesthetics, I already have a couple 12CXN76 to play around with.
Cons: May not have enough output within the operating band (12CXN76 sounds like it's suffering at higher levels), may be difficult to achieve 80Hz in that size box and sound nice.

3 - Coaxial 12 inch (BMS Triaxial 12CN860)
Pros: Easier to build, Dedicated Mid CD, Efficient Coax CD meaning it should achieve the output criteria (in the upper-frequency range anyway) without straining before other drivers would have reached my acceptable distortion level limits.
Cons: May be difficult to achieve 80Hz in that size box and sound nice, Narrow dispersion, never heard a BMS Coaxial CD in the flesh and don't have one to play around with.

4 - Dedicated top mounted horn with efficient enclosure extending the lower cutoff frequency.

Just thought about this but I was thinking something like the SEOS-15 with one of the new natural 18 sound drivers or BMS coax just because I like the directivity and look of the SEOS horns. Alternative horn and driver suggestions are welcome. If I can get the horn to extend low enough I may be able to get away with a push-pull design for the low-end cabinet.

Anyway, all suggestions are welcome. Fire away.

Last edited:
Couple of random thoughts...

If you're distorting any D&B speaker, are you sure you're driving it correctly? They're usually fairly good at avoiding that, thought to be fair, the E3 is tiny and you might just be asking too much of it.

If 310mm is all the external width you have available, you probably won't fit many 12" drivers in, especially after you allow clearance for a grille & its mounting. The B&C & BMS drivers you refer to have chassis of 315 & 318mm respectively. Likewise if those dimensions are external, you'll have a bit less than 18l of internal volume after allowing for the thickness of the cabinet walls.

Still, given how small the E3 is, a decent modern 10" , either coax or with a separate HF should be able to get at least as loud. A 10" is more likely to reach your LF target than a 12" given the restricted Vb too.

I have a 10" coaxial here that's capable of 125dB continuous sine tones from 100Hz and upwards, and THD mostly stays below 10%.

It's definitely possible, but I'm afraid the manufacturer of said coaxial has asked me to provide them exclusive rights to the cabinet and crossover design, so I can't share online.

Pick the best 10" coaxial you can, and go from there. How much power do you have?

Chris

PS - Don't trust the SPL rating on that D&B cabinet. Here's why: Spec Wars: Looking Inside Loudspeaker SPL Specifications - ProSoundWeb

For what use?

For my light and compact mobile PA system I will be putting 2 Alphalite 6's and a Dayton PHT1-6 Planar Horn Tweeter in between them, in about 15 liters of sealed pvc pipe. Should be great for speech, needs a bass/sub-woofer for music.
Could make it a bit smaller and lighter with a piezo horn or small compression horn... but I don't like that.
Powered with 2x250W from a tpa3255 running on a 36V ebike battery with switchable voltage booster.
I will also add 2 sealed 12" subs (JBL1204D? ) in fancy 25/30L plastic buckets, each powered with a tpa3255. I will/should be able to carry the whole setup in 1 go or mount it on my bike etc.

for a horn on top w. 10 (cheap on sale for US$99) B&C10fw64 with frame diameter 261mm and 5mm xmax might work

nKJfzfZ.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.