Powered speakers with passive subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi you all, I have a small PA system, 4 18" subwoofers and 4 mid-high mains, all the speakers are powered. I want to include a couple of dual 18" passive subwoofers for outdoor events. My subs have a high-pass filter connection so I don't have to push my mains with too much bass. The amplifier I'm going to use for the passive subs comes with low-pass filter switch and I don't want to buy a crossover just for the bass. The problem is that I may be using the dual passive subwoofer with the powered mains too often. The way I'm going to do this is with a signal splitter from the master outputs of my mixer. One signal for the powered speakers and the other signal to the power amplifier for the subs. My question is; is there any way to high-pass the signal from my mixer to the powered mains?
My mixer comes with a high pass filter integrated but I think that if i use it I'll change the signal going to the amplifier and i don't want to lose any bass power.
I'm not sure how crazy this sounds, I have seen Dj's doing it, and I already have the subs and the amplifier in my basement, I just want to do it the right way (if it is possible). I hope somebody can give an opinion or any help with this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need an active crossover, it doesn't have to be anything fancy just something like a Behringer CX2310 or a DBX223XL.

Hi , thanks for replying to my topic. Excuse my ignorance, I'm going to be using the active crossover for the subs but how I cut the low frequencies from the powered speakers? Can I use the crossover with the powered mains? Most powered speaker comes with a volume knob so users can adjust the bass level but this speakers don't. They only have a XLR input and output on the back. Thanks!

Crossovers are not just one way filters, they come in two way, three way, four way, etc. For each ibnpit there will be a high and low output, you set the frequency which divides them. Do not run full range to the tops, run full range to the active Xover. The highs output goes to your tops, the lows goes to your subs.

Crossovers are not just one way filters, they come in two way, three way, four way, etc. For each ibnpit there will be a high and low output, you set the frequency which divides them. Do not run full range to the tops, run full range to the active Xover. The highs output goes to your tops, the lows goes to your subs.

Hi, thanks for your comment! So you're saying that I can use the crossover with active speakers, and that will not affect the crossover already inside the speaker negatively right? I just need a two-way crossover, lows and highs, is that correct?

Active speakers are fed a line level signal. You send a full range signal, the speaker uses its internal crossover to separate the tweeter stuff from the woofer stuff. An active crossszover works on that line level signal, determining what is fed to thepeaker. If the speaker has a crossover point intoernally between woofer and tweter of say 800 Hz, and the electronic Xover is set for 200Hz, then everything over 200Hz goes to the speaker, and within the speaker, 200-800Hz goes to the woofer, and 800Hz and up goes to the tweeter. I made up the numbers. If you sent the speaker only 1000Hz and up, then the woofer would see noptjhing and sit like a lump.

The speaker crossover and the electronic one before it really don't interact, though a suystem planner needs to be aware of it all.

A two way Xover wwill split the highs and lows wherever you want them, presumably between the subs and the tops. The unit will have a control that sets the crosover point. I can't imagien it, but if you some reason you wanted the low end of the tops to be at a higher freq han the top end of the subs - some sort of gap - then you'd need a three way Xover. But that seems unlikely.

Active speakers are fed a line level signal. You send a full range signal, the speaker uses its internal crossover to separate the tweeter stuff from the woofer stuff. An active crossszover works on that line level signal, determining what is fed to thepeaker. If the speaker has a crossover point intoernally between woofer and tweter of say 800 Hz, and the electronic Xover is set for 200Hz, then everything over 200Hz goes to the speaker, and within the speaker, 200-800Hz goes to the woofer, and 800Hz and up goes to the tweeter. I made up the numbers. If you sent the speaker only 1000Hz and up, then the woofer would see noptjhing and sit like a lump.

The speaker crossover and the electronic one before it really don't interact, though a suystem planner needs to be aware of it all.

A two way Xover wwill split the highs and lows wherever you want them, presumably between the subs and the tops. The unit will have a control that sets the crosover point. I can't imagien it, but if you some reason you wanted the low end of the tops to be at a higher freq han the top end of the subs - some sort of gap - then you'd need a three way Xover. But that seems unlikely.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your time to reply. I'll keep in all the information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.