DI box with stereo to mono summing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a pair of DI boxes to connect smartphones or similar portable music players to mic inputs. Sound quality is second to price, size and isolation.

Would this work ? The transformer will be either a neutrik nte-1 or a monacor ltr-110.

Attachments

• di.PNG
    di.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 202
Joined 2011
Aren't the summing resistors necessary to avoid the outputs trying to drive one another when the signal
is very different in between L and R, effectively shorting them ?

There may be some internal impedances in the source outputs that would allow shorting the two together,
but why take the chance? The 1k resistors certainly won't harm anything, and they may prevent harm.

Aren't the summing resistors necessary to avoid the outputs trying to drive one another when the signal is very different in between L and R, effectively shorting them ?

It would be on the output of two power amplifiers, with low impedance outputs - but this is a line/headphone output with relatively high impedance outputs, and very possibly even resistors actually feeding the socket.

So it normally makes no difference, but as I said before it's certainly 'nicer' to use the two resistors, even if it's not strictly required.

As I also said - try it with the two resistors, then short the inputs to the resistors together, and see what difference it makes.

Well, these boxes will be used with all kinds of laptops, smartphones and the like, so I must take extra care. Safety is more important than best sound in this case ;)

All such devices are (or should) be designed for just such a use, however adding the summing resistors does no harm whatsoever, and won't reduce sound quality - and for the third time :D - it's a 'nicer' solution :p

There is no need for the transformer for a floating device input.

YES THERE IS. Laptops and such are notorious for introducing the nastiest of ground loops. I had a horrible digital "Squeeeeeeeeeee" trying to run a laptop and lower-end DJ controller (with unbalanced 1/4" outputs). There were only 2 solutions - either to run a clean box or pull the power supply and run off battery only. And the battery won't last for the full gig, of course. You either need a clean box or a transformer to run form all possible sources. If you don't need/want the amplification the transformer is a better solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.