PA Amplifier power ratings that simply don't add up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as an example...

Behringer EP4000 Europower Power Amplifier 2 x 1400W | Parts-Express.com

Output power (0.1% THD, both channels driven)
per channel stereo mode:
550 watts RMS @ 8Ω,
950 watts RMS @ 4Ω,
1,250 watts @ 2Ω

Output power (1% THD, sine wave)
bridged mono mode:
1,750 watts RMS @ 8Ω,
2,400 watts RMS @ 4Ω

so, 2400watts rms output or so.

all well and good, but the amplifier runs off 120volts at 15amps, which is 1800watts.

so, 1800watts input, resulting in 2400watts output?

that don't work!

50% on the long term....
A transormer can output easily 50% more than it s rated power.
What count is the mean power delivered over a long period of time.

but a lot of these amplifiers are class AB amplifiers, using low frequency powersupplies.

meaning the whole setup is only 50% efficient anyway.

so to get 2400watts output, you realistically need close to 5000watts input, from a power outlet, and fuse, thats rated for 1800watts...

Total efficency is close to 70% with a low losses supply,
and that seems the case with this one since they claim first
choice toroids..
Anyway, the PS can withstand the overload, provided it is not
of long duration, i.e, more than 20mn/30mn or something like that..

Class AB amplifiers are only about 70% efficient at full power, so you can't have an overall efficiency of 70%.

a toroidal transformer is about 90% efficient, but a full wave bridge rectifier is about 80%.

in other words, if you have 1800watts input, you have a potential about 900watts output.

thats an overall efficiency of 50%

Last edited:
but a lot of these amplifiers are class AB amplifiers, using low frequency powersupplies.

meaning the whole setup is only 50% efficient anyway.

so to get 2400watts output, you realistically need close to 5000watts input, from a power outlet, and fuse, thats rated for 1800watts...

EP4000 is Class-H, which means with music signals its efficiency is much higher than class-AB. therefore much less current draw than comparable AB.

For sinewave power, for 2500W a class-H will take no more than 3500W from the power outlet.

the EPA-2500 is Class H also! and i agree, that 2500 watts is for short duration! maybe a few sine's pulse, or on short burst's or maybe sustained for a few seconds. the specs dont state HOW that is measured. it could be a burst of a single pulse for all we know!

Behringer DIDN'T do any measuring...or its doubtful anyway...but QSC did! and the Behringer Ep-2500 is a rip off QSC RMX-2450. same exact circuit schematically done with cheaper parts. but looking at the QSC specs. they are the same....so...the question really is....how did QSC do there measurments

Hi,
this is a very similar enquiry to another thread.
I have converted all the measured powers to dbV
2 channels
+36.4 8r0
+35.8 4r0
+34.0 2r0

bridged (using half measured power into half the test load resistance)
+35.5 4r0
+30.8 2r0

I can see that the 8ohm loading allows good output current.
changing to 4r0 loading shows a slight fall in output voltage (-0.6dB) indicating good capability to drive current into 4r0.

the collapse of output voltage into 2r0 (-2.4dB) shows the amp cannot deliver adequate current to effectively drive a 2r0 resistor. It certainly will struggle to drive a 2ohm speaker.

The bridged results confirm the same
-0.9dB into 4r0 (halved test resistance)
-5.6dB into 2r0.

This a very poor 2ohm amplifier.
It can drive 4ohm loads without blowing up, but severe reactance speakers will stress it.
It would need to be re-designed for quality use, for PA duty it might be OK into 4ohm.

I suppose if you read the reviews, it answers all the questions...

"I got this amp to see if it had any more power than the old 2500, and it does not. I looked inside the two amps side by side and they are the same thing with different numbers. I tested the 2500 at 1840 watts rms and the new EP4000 at 1875. "

just looking at internal pics of these amps, it has a smaller transformer than my 2 X 750watt (4ohm) Biema PA500 amp... ( not only that, but the EP4000 weighs 5kg less than the PA500)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The thing is, I was looking for a second Biema PA500 amp, but then considered that instead of that, I could just get two new amps for the sub stage, and use the Biema for the mids and highs...

but, none of the specs of these other amps seem to add up at all.

Last edited:
this is an interesting question. but let me first stop and recognize that the thread is discussing an expected alignment of electrical power consupmtion to audio amplifier power production. an interesting concept. So an amp that is producing 2500 watts per channel, nees to convert wall AC to DC, than DC to AC again. to get 2500 watts per channel, you need to be able to produce 25A at 200 volts for a 8 ohm load. So the question is can we transfer 120volts/15A to 200volts/25A, while at the same time, not generate any heat. this would be a nice to have. I would buy a few of them and send a 60hz signal into it and use it to power my mains. I could consume less than what I was producing. And if I sent it back into the grid, I would be making money off nothing. I want one.

I always get a strained grin over my face when reading such as theese data for any amp.

I guess SONY has the "lead" in this PMPO-race anyway.
They had a surround-system for sale here in Norway for some years ago.
1000W total PMPO
When i broke down the numbers they made this out of a system that had a power consumption of 50W, yes, fifty watts.
One can wonder where SONY fount the additional 950W in that system.

Theese perpetum mobiles made by the electronics giants are for sure the answer to all climate crisis ever coming over us......

I eventually found a link to various test results for the EP2500 (same as the EP4000)
Measuring Amplifiers - AVS Forum
These tests conclude that this amp can deliver up to 1kw per channel into 2R at 1khz
But only for short periods after which it will overheat!
I have a old C-Audio SR707 which has a 1200w / 2R per channel rating. It has a 15A internal fuse for a 240V supply.:D
Crown amplifiers supply current draw information for their amplifiers under practical conditions.....
Crown Amplifier Technical Information
Links at bottom of page.
According to Crown, compressed rock music represents a 40% duty cycle;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.