most relaxing album

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pink floyd

wish you were here

glorious, ethereal, cool, uplifting . . .

perfect for driving on the freeway ~ or other smooth road ~ when the traffic is light,
(it doesn't hurt to have a car with effortless power and sure footed handling)

ideally the sun or the moon is shining brightly :cloud9:

no conversation, no phones, no boss, no time constraints

just let the vibes and Dick Parry's sax and the Richard Wright's synths envelop you

trivia coutesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_Were_Here_(album)

Syd Barrett actually turned up at the studio in the middle of a recording session, unannounced, completely devoid of hair (including eyebrows) and had put on so much weight that most of the band did not recognise him at first. A muso mistook him for a Hare Krishna devotee. Waters cried at the transformation.
While the band were listening to a song in progress (some 'legends' that contend it was "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"), Barrett sat motionless; he is sometimes quoted as saying, when someone asked to play it back again, that this would be pointless as they had already just heard it.

When Rolling Stone magazine reviewed the album on realease, with IMHO typical RS cluelessness, they panned and trashed the recording
"Passion is everything of which Pink Floyd is devoid."
They also panned most of the first albums of the band originally known as the New Yardbirds . . (and expect credibility? :crazy:

My wife brought something new home this week, pretty dull cover, I thought it was a bootleg, till I opened it.

Mojo Presents_ Love Will Tear Us Apart

It is a compilation filled with very sad songs, and seen in that line is pretty laid back melodies etc.

What stood out to me as bigtime favourites was;
Townes van Zandt and Willie Nelson with a song called Marie.
Very sad and haunting, left me haveing to rub my eyes.

Then something unusual, Susanna and the Magical orchestra doing Love will tear us apart (again)... Absolutley gobsmacking awesome, and I used to love the Joy Division version of this song when I was still a boy with lots of hair.

I would add just about any CD by Zucchero, my latest one from him was ZU and co.. with him doing duets will all of modern music's godfathers and divas. From Sting to Eric Clapton, Tom Jones, BB King, CHem Mami, Paul Yooung, Andrea Bocelli....
and many many more... the fact that these people are recording with him speaks for itself.

My absolute favourite album by him was in about '92 '93, I don't know the name, but I had the tape and played it till it was unlistenable, it had the most beautifull version of Blue and Diamante, on it as well as a song called You're loosing me...

As Always Zucchero recordings are of the best technical class you will find, and it is normally a pleasure to just listen to the way it all fits together and how well sound is mixed etc... just perfect..

HAH! Wait lemme go check something, I remember where I listened to the Zu and Co CD the first time... some very relaxing tunes hey, .... ok just wait for me.

Here..
http://music.download.com/zucchero/3600-8573_32-100076313.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist

Many of the songs nice quality stream, totaly legal!

A shame it doesn't include the song with BB king... a real classic.. although my wife doesn't like that one for some weird reason.

Then again she was listening to Roxette when we met, so much taste was never expected... + she married me.

Re: most relaxing

autopoiesis said:
No contest: "Chill Out" by The KLF

It must be heard.

Well said! I'm not certain most folks can get into this "relaxation" recording but I would guess that in the past 17 years I have listened to this record hundreds perhaps over a thousand times! I have purchased it at least 3 times.

This album has influenced thousands of other recording artists. Check it out!

Shawn.

Almost anything from Pink Floyd, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, Fleetwood Mac, or City and Colour. I 'spose there exists a very wide range of music that I enjoy listening to when relaxing and it proves very challenging trying to pick the most relaxing albums and/or artists.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Far Beyond Driven by Pantera - specifically the last 2 instrumental minutes of 'Hard lines, sunken cheeks'

Absolutely #@%$ing unreal. I can listen to this for hours through my 'phones on enless loop while working at my computer.

Ditto for the last 60 seconds of the track 'The great southern trendkill' and all of 10's.

Alomst anything sung by Shara Nelson.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.