Are violins supposed to be on the left or right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
don't they play upside down in Australia? :)

here's how they stack up at the Met Opera:

the range of strings will continue its sweep to the right past the conductor.

the reed instruments are to the rear/right
the brass to the right
the percussion to the far right

if there is a harp, harpsichord, it will usually be in the rear on the left.

Violins left?

It's almost always the first violins that are on the far left (audience left) when viewing the stage from the audience.

The most common concert seating arrangement has firsts far left, then the second violins, then the violas (called alto in France and Bratsche in Germany) and then the 'cellos far right. The double basses are usually behind the 'cellos on the far right.

An interesting alternate to this seating plan, used by many conductors including Mahler, Mengelberg and Klemperer, has the first violins far left and the second violins far right, with the violas and 'cellos in between. This is often called "European seating" and it has the advantage of allowing the antiphonal writing between firsts and seconds to heard more clearly.

Let's put it this way then... If I play a DVD that has something going from left to right on the screen and I set the speakers so the sound follows the picture, then I can only presume it would then be right for audio CDs too.

Here in Australia we play instruments like lagerphones, carpenter's saws, spoons etc. Symphony orchestras are basically unknown. That fancy and famous so-called Opera House overlooking Sydney Harbour is in fact an office complex for high-end government paper shufflers.

left right north south

:clown: It could very well be that lots of thinks change down under. If look at the sun and your watch, east and west have changed positions as well at your end of the world. So I would not trust the dvd versus cd argument.

living in the country that has a large Mahler, Mengelberg and Klemperer (the only one available in stereo) tradition I do agree with you that the number of concert halls per capita in your country is limited. But you do have a lot more sport facilities and nice weather.

I have once been to the Sydney Opera House. I did not find any paper pushers, only people wanting your money. Probably the Melbournians still envy the Syndonians for heaving suh an out of space beautifull piece of architecture. It is a pity that it almost seems that the cultural develoment/history stops there.

Re: left right north south

earsandeyes said:
:clown: It could very well be that lots of thinks change down under. If look at the sun and your watch, east and west have changed positions as well at your end of the world.

I have once been to the Sydney Opera House. I did not find any paper pushers, only people wanting your money.

I was pulling your leg basically. :D The Opera House is just as you saw it. I have never been inside it myself. In this part of the world where it is Spring right now, if you face *north* the sun rises on your right and sets on your left. The water goes down the plughole whichever way it feels like, depending on how it was disturbed before the plug got pulled out. I have even seen it change direction during the event. Cars drive on the left side of the road (as they in fact should), the first sub 6-second 1/4 mile outside continental US was achieved here in Oz, in my hometown Melbourne in fact, and people do in fact listen to classical music though not everyone as you may expect. We have plenty of people who think of nothing but sport, beer, more sport, more beer. We have [had] notable brainboxes like Thiele and Small, and Fritz Langford-Smith. We were the first to split the beer atom. We invented electricity, gasoline and nuclear fusion reactors. We know everything there is to know. Everyone wants to be like us.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.