petite onken with TAD tl-1102 HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to decide on a cabinet for a pair of TAD tl-1102 I just purchased.

Has anyone modeled these drivers in the petite-onken cabinet?

What would the advantage of the onken cabinet be over a conventional ported bass reflex enclosure?

Any idea on a modified onken that would be better (and maybe a little smaller?)

Opinions on the ideal enclosure for the tl-1102's?

Putting them under a pair of td-2001s crossing over around 1600hz on 800hz horns.

Plan to build in the next few weeks would really appreciate your input.

Will document this project here.

Thanks!

tl-1102

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, thats a dream driver, for sure - but how will you mate a 94db woofer with a 109db compression driver
I would be looking at something around 90db to match it

GM, I think is the expert with Onken

something about making it 6-7 times as big .... as big as what ?;)

Which MAYBE would mean 300-350 liter - lets see if GM has the time correct this

Yea, I remember that GM has all the specs on the Oken cab. and ran some great plots for some other drivers i was looking at.

Hope he reads this post. :)

As far as efficiency. the td-1102 should still be good for about 92-93 db .. I know that Duke at AudiKinesis has been using them, sent me his measurements and they are really close to spec. and are flat from mid 30' to about 1600.

Also the Tad Monitors used this combination of the 2001 (the 2002 actually) and the td-1102 and were 92db efficient or something....

Anyhow.. the dispersion characteristics of the 11" driver make it seem perfect for the 2001

yes.. a shame to have to pad them down so much to match the horns..

if i got two more drivers and put them in the onken.. hmm.. .. they would hardly be petite.. wouldn't they need to double in size? hubba hubba.

exactly! Bi Amping would be easy huh. I have a Red Wine Sig 30.. which has attenuated RCA outs.. i could use a second amp for the horns and let the sig 30 run the mid/bass...

gotta settle on an enclosure before i start going there though.
i liked the idea of the petite onkens because i was thinking if i liked them and wanted to make a prettier pair or if i didnt like them i could use the first cabinets with some altecs for a garage speaker or something...

anyhow... maybe i should just stick with a normal bass reflex.. thats everyone seems to have used to date with these drivers..

was curious if the onkens would work though and what the advantages would be with them...

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

The Petite Onken is way too big, though with two drivers it sims like the big Altec 416 Onken ;). Anyway, any standard vented alignment is going to require a big, long vent, so makes it ~ ideal for a reverse tapered TQWT or ML-TQWT.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
tinitus said:
........something about making it 6-7 times as big .... as big as what ?

Greets!

Not sure what you're referring to. I mean how much it gets over-sized from a n = 6.34 alignment with just its T/S specs is a function of how much series resistance there is and/or how low tuned/rolled off you want it so it will blend to the room's gain curve.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.