beovox s45-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a pair of S45-2 bought 10 Euros in 1999, they are installed in a small office room (2.5 m x 4 m).
As they sound pretty good, I did'nt even open the box.
The Philips tweeter used to be one of my favourite circa 1975.
The S45-2 became impressive when I add a Sokol's circuit (an adjustable transform for the bass) ahead of the power amp. The 8' Peerless bass driver with paper cone is a very capable driver.
I also tested the very simplified version of Richard Brice's Francistein circuit which makes stereo more stable : I would recommand to try it with any pair of stereo speakers.

I know this thread is more than three years old - but others might Google it (as I just did).

Beovox S45-2 is a surprisingly good little speaker - and can be made even better sounding without to much work or expenses.

The capacitors in the X-over network should be changes/replaced with some made for the purpose (audiophile type). Since it's only 3 capacitors per speaker (and all 15 uF) it won’t ruin you. I put Jantzen Cross Caps in mine - but others manufactures can be used.

Suggestions to other modifications can be found at http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/32520.aspx

Best regards - Claus

And now a new post in this "vintage" thread:
I've just gotten 2 sets of these S45-2 speakers:
The First set I got had some problems:
A solderjoint went bad on one of the bass-cones, and the two speakers didn't quite match up, plus the bass frequencies where somewhat too pronounced (could be due to the old electrolytics ..:( )...nevertheless they indicated that these speakers could sound very fine.
So I got another set (they are easy to find for cheap around here)

The second set had no problems, matches up very fine, and sound pretty good as is. :)

The caps will be upgraded in the near future plus minor improvements will be made to the cabinets (dampening, stiffening) = a few improvements described in detail in a Danish vintage-HiFi forum.

But even without the improvements these speakers sound pretty good... very musical ;)

JFYI: I'm using these speakers with a The Fisher x-100....I'll probably later upgrade to some open-baffle AlNiCo speakers, but for now this is the best sound I've had so far ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.