Small 2 way standmount suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right.

I have been running a pair of Bandor 50s for my fronts with a sub (its a HT setup also used for stereo listening). while they sound very nice they were lacking in level a bit.

so I ran a pair a side, much better but I now need some nice rear speakers so I'm looking at retiring the Bandors to the rears (or maybe even make them my PC speakers) and going for something different fro the fronts.

WAF was a major issue pushing me towards the bandors, so I need to keep it small, but I have no worries about running a sub (I have been using an ATC SB75-314sc sealed, I also have a pair of Bandor 150s that need a home).

My options at the moment I see are:

1) Build larger cabinets for the Bandor50s, and add the 150s too, do a pair of 50s running say 150-300Hz up and the Bandor 150s flling in below in sealed cabinet , make tall thin floorstanders and side fire the 150s buy another pair of Bandor 50s for rears

2) run the bandor 50s as rears and build some small 2 ways for fronts, I have some Fountek NeoCD3s I'd like to use:

2a) I have the Founteks, build a small 2way with Fostex FE126es, http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/FE126E.htm I'd probably go for Planet10 modded ones, and have a play with frugal horns too (I'll still have a sub from the HT to fill the bottom end in)

2b) Jim Griffen's mini monitor, I could mate the founteks to a pair of Jordan JX92s, should be able to pick a pair up second hand for the sort of money the fostex would cost, well established design

2c) I have a pair of C-Quenze 'spare' from my car, they are lovely drivers but 6 1/4" basket (not so great on the WAF front) and I have no idea what specs they are (overhung 15H with alu former and large magnet) so no ideas on the box requirements, wonderful midrange (should really put them back in the car).

2d) buy some Seas W15CY001s an do something like this: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/W15_Neo3.htm not sure if I really need the extra bass these would give over the fostex and the drivers are more than I want to spend. but I'm tempted if someone can convince me they would be worth it over the Griffin mini monitors.

2e) buy some CSS WR125s and mate them with the founteks, not heard of anyone doing this but they are a similar driver to those others mentioned and Vikash has them for very reasonable money on www.madaboutsound.co.uk. probably make for a very good value system and the massive crossover between the two drivers would make for an easy crossover to get good (but hard to perfect).

suggestions people? I've been pondering for far too long and should really get round to building something!! Feel free to suggest other designs, I would like drivers I can re-use though when I get bored/curious and would like to use the founteks

EDIT: and power will probably come from a SKA GB150 when I get it done, currently its from a nasty little pie-in-ear surround amp!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.