Building an Aurum Cantus HT system....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first real DIY speaker foray, and would appreciate any insights/comments. I've looked around and I can't find anything really close to this, if this is a duplicate post please point me in the right direction!!

I'm looking to build a 5.1 system using AC components that will primarily be used for movies, but also for 2/6 channel music.

Center - G2 or G2Si ribbon, AC-130MK2 5" mid/bass.

Due to space constraints in the front of my room, I will be using two center channels - one on either side of the projector screen.

Mains - G2 or G2Si ribbon, AC-130MK2 5" mid/bass & dual AC-200MK2 8".

Surrounds - Same as center speakers.

I have a sub that will be taking care of everything up to 100-120Hz.

Am I crazy for wanting to use this type of tweeter for the surrounds?

Any input will be welcome!

well,

I am still very new to the DIY speaker building (and actually the DIY audio community in general). That being said, here are my thoughts.

sucessfully designing a speaker is much more difficult then picking out a few drivers and building a cabinet. There is ALOT more to it, and honestly I only understand a small portion, and the more I get into it, the more questions I have. If you have never built any speakers before, i think the general concensous is to start by building a few set of proven designs. Check out speakerbuilder.net / parts express's website / and zaphaudio for some popular designs... THere is also a DIY speaker search engine somewhere on this board that will allow you to search for other peoples builds...

one question I did have is. I noticed that you were going to use 2 center channels, one on either side of a front projected screen? I just completed my home theatre and am not at ALL happy with the sound quality (the reason why I am here) I have been trying to decide on the types of speakers I want for my L/C/R and I have learned alot about several different speakers. Is this a proven design? How do you plan to drive these speakers? Do you have an external amp that you can just put a y cable on to use two amp channels?

I've decided to use two center channels for a couple of reasons;
The first, as I mentioned before is space. The way my screen is set up currently my center channel is about 6" off the floor, which as you can imagine doesn't sound all that great! This is my primary reason. The second is that I plan on making the rear surrounds the same, which will simplify construction (I think!). My other cosideration, as you mentioned is amplification; I am currently using a Marantz SR7400 reciever, but I want to move to a pre-amp and external amplifier setup. As I plan on using several two channel amps, I will just use one stereo amp in a parallel mono mode for the center speakers. This way I don't need to use a Y cable and each speaker will have its own amplifier channel.

Is it a proven design? I know it is unusual at least! I have listened to a couple a friends systems, one running a single center channel and the other running a dual center, and they both sound very good. If anything, the dual version sounds more exspansive, for lack of a better word!

I do realize the complexity in designing/building a speaker system, and I've read through Zaph's site as well as many others, and I haven't found anything that quite matches what I want to do! After reading Wayne J's "Veritas" project, I've decided that I really want to base my system on ribbon tweeters. I admit the reason I'd like to use AC drivers for the rest of the system is partially for aesthetics! It also seems their specs are pretty good. That being said, I can use all the help I can get! I apppreciate any input!

Hi,

Whatever there is said about ribbons, IMO they are not ideal for HT.

Dispersion is generally limited in the vertical plane and possibly
compromised at the top end of the bass/ mid in a 2-way due to
the necessarily highish crossover frequency.

Two channel sweet spot stereo they may work, HT I'm not sure.

Reading the Veritas write up : note this has a dome midrange.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:
Hi,

Whatever there is said about ribbons, IMO they are not ideal for HT.

Dispersion is generally limited in the vertical plane and possibly
compromised at the top end of the bass/ mid in a 2-way due to
the necessarily highish crossover frequency.

Two channel sweet spot stereo they may work, HT I'm not sure.

Reading the Veritas write up : note this has a dome midrange.

:)/sreten.

Wouldn't the vertical dispersion issue be somewhat unimportant in a HT setting where (ideally) all the tweeters, at least the L/C/R channels, are at ear level? This is assuming you can actually acheive this; in my system the L/C/R will be set at ear level. This is why I want to use a dual center channel. The rear channels have to be mounted somewhat above the ideal height with my room. This doesn't affect HT performance too much, IMO.

I know AC actually sells HT speakers using the G2 & G3 ribbons; has anybody here listened to any of these speakers?

Would a 2.5 setup work better? As I understand it this uses two identical mid/bass drivers, with one for bass freq and the other as a mid. And is a 2.5 better/worse than a 3 way?

You will find no issue with a short ribbon for HT dispersion at all.

We use them all the time a norrow ribbon you may find best over a dome.Now yes issues with a long ribbon tweeter will have dispersion issues due to the width of the element used.

Last crossover point and slope all fall into play as well.
We use 4th and 6th orders.

RAW said:
Run the crossovers 3500 4th order mechanical 6th order acoustical, best for HT.

Do not let the order shake you.You use a few more partsbut the values are smaller, yeilding a more controled network.

Then add better off axis response :D

I appreciate the info!! I knew there was a reason I joined this board

:)

The crossover is in my mind the hardest part, but I don't mind a bit of trial and error.

This may be a stupid question, but what do you mean by "add better off axis response"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.