Any minimum distance from driver to port?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment I am considering building a pair of boxes approx 110cm x 50cm x 40cm with an 8 inch driver at one end of the 40 cm x 110cm face. Does it make very much difference where the port is located? The most convenient place for me would be either on the 40cm x 50cm side adjacent to the driver or on the front right next to it. The box is to be laying on it's side so it would be 110cm wide, 40cm high, 50cm deep.

Actually, seeing the driver and port output are in phase at resonance, how would it be if the driver was encircled by 4 to 6 small ports so that the two sound sources were concentric? Worthwile?

try the onken-style
1 big port is easiest, but not the only way.
IMHO, Q-factor of 1 big port is high, so one get's more spectacular result but in a much narower frequency-spectrum compared to onken or different tuned pipes with the same resulting airflow resistance than 1 big pipe.

Compare it to the sound of 1 big exhaust pipe for a car, or multiple ones.

on this site is a onken calculator

http://www.mhsoft.nl/SQL7/ViewDownloadFiles.asp

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
It's a tweaky answer I'm afraid...

Port position is not normally a problem, because at the wavelengths involved, a port would have to be metres away from the driver to affect the response. But depending on you cabinet/driver/port/stuffing interactions, sometimes placing a port on the side or rear of a box will reduce out of band and turbulence noises, simply because they are not firing towards you.

So it's the old "build a test box and try it" answer, sorry:)

As for multiple ports all tuned the same, I personally have never heard any difference other than more port noise. Unless you stagger tune the ports, which I don't think is simulatable( new word?:) ) in normal software, and I have only done it by trial and error.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.