center channel speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
you might be able to find a 10inch or 12inch Tannoy dual concentric for that kind of money. Not the modern plastic coned type. Go look for a paper coned bass/pepper pot tweeter model.

Voice is very intelligible and high sensitivity requires only moderate power.

The DC principle keeps point source at centre and this allows a wide spread of coherent signal to the audience (you and the girlfriend do have some space between you!).

:D ha, ha, to you too;)
not being facetious here understand:whazzat: but do a search on the parts express projects site there are numerous HT projects with centre ch plans using the dayton drivers from PE....
these aught to come in around or under your budget:xeye: the one that intrigues me is an onken style centre version of a sealed cab centre with 2 vents at the sides built into the encl using bits of mdf wish l could give you a link but being old and senile l forget how.... so do a search on their site l'm sure you will find what u are looking for. cheers and best regards:rolleyes: TC:apathic: [PS] l intend to build one using a pr of no-name shielded drivers from a korean mfctr l rekon it should work out well with a simple series x/over using a shielded tonigen soft dome tweeter l have lying around gathering dust:smash:

:bawling: HA, looks like the jokes on me:xeye: theres sumpin wrong wid da site as l tried to correct the link and it dont matter whut l try to do it seems l typed it in correctly in da furst place looks like l have to correct it dis way as you should type in manually....
/triune/ported drawing. jpg
instead of whats actually shown..... so l have wasted like .5 hrs of my time for no reason if you dont follow it up again all the best of irish luck:angel: cheers TC

If you want it to sound right, then you really should get another Ascend. Timbre matching the front stage of a surround set-up is critical.
However, if you are looking to do a project for fun and education, then you may find more satisfaction doing something with a higher probability for success. How about doing all three at the front and demote the Ascend to surround duty.

like l said earlier do a search of PE the one l am talking about is the triune which has a centre that can be built as a sealed or ported encl, saying that l'll try and post the link again just to prove it's not me mistyping or its my keyboard at fault here, OK here goes one more time:smash:
http:// www. partsexpress.com/projects showcase/triune/porteddrawing.jpg
hope it works this time as l'm gettin sick of all this typing. cheers TC:angel:

Hmm I think the best idea is since your dad is paying for half of it (if you succeed), first build a center, and then in the future build two matching stereo speakers. Then put the ascends as surrounds. Good luck with your project. I'm a teen too and i've built a few pairs of speakers. Its a great hobby and its very addicting. I second the idea of building the triune. However MTM centers do sound the best when they are vertically positioned even if it may look odd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.