Woofer suggestions (UK)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone :)

I've decided to rebuild my current speakers (floorstanding, SS 9500 + Audax HM170Z0) into a small sealed box and add an active bottom end crossed over in the 200-300Hz range.

It doesn't have to reach into subsonics, as I'm planning on using it for HT and everything under 60Hz will be handled by the subwoofer.

Does anyone have experience with the Scanspeak 21W/8555-01? It seems to fit my requirements perfectly, 35-45L sealed box with an f3 around 50Hz and it's FR looks reasonably smooth upto 1Khz. Knowing SS it will be well built and low distortion, but does anyone have suggestions for any other drivers I should look into as the SS it quite expensive?

I'd like a sealed box around 40L, high resolution clean bass down to around 50Hz with reasonably high power handling.

Suggestions welcome :D
Rich

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
SS - With a lot of work it plays ok - hard to "get down" in midbass, but goes very deep but also a bit uncontrolled, though extra magnets helps a bit

If very critical it somehow tends to "live its own life" and difficult to integrate, which I reckon is partly due to uncontrolled ressonance

Right now it plays very good though, but slightly "soft", and I wouldnt use it again

But if listening to "HipHop" and such it might be very good

I have heard the kevlar version with foam surround should be much better - modified I guess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.