Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Inductor calculations
Inductor calculations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2006, 12:03 PM   #1
jaudio is offline jaudio
diyAudio Member

Default Inductor calculations

When using a parallel notch filter, do you add the notch filter resistor to the woofer resistance, when calculating the woofer's inductor value?
Old 12th August 2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

No.

The notch filter resistor really only acts at the notch frequency, below the notch, the notch inductor and it's DCR dominate, above the notch, the capacitor dominates.

I doubt the notch inductor DCR will affect crossover inductor calculations much.

The sum of the DCR's of the crossover and notch inductor will raise Qes (and Qts) and require a change in box design, though.
Old 12th August 2006, 09:15 PM   #3
jaudio is offline jaudio
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply

Sorry I wasnt clear. I was referring to only the resistor in the notch filter and not the dcr on the inductor in the notch filter. I think that resistor would be in series with the woofer, which would add the resistor value (4.6ohm .ei) with the woofer resistance (8 ohm). Now, do I calculate for 12.6 ohm or 8 ohms?
Old 12th August 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I understood you quite clearly. The answer is no. The rest of my reply is FYI-perhaps an unwelcome complication....
Old 12th August 2006, 10:48 PM   #5
jaudio is offline jaudio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
The rest of my reply is FYI-perhaps an unwelcome complication....
Your FYI was very welcomed. I didnít understand it at first but I understand a little now. Well, I still donít quite understand it but I can figure it out since I know the answer is definitely no

Thank you for answering my questions
  Reply to this post

Inductor calculationsHide this!Advertise here!