can one address poor off axis response if many drivers were used

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if these are stupid questions:

If one were to plan to DIY many beamy speakers that are aimed to cover the entire listening area with their limited dispersion; can the poor off axis response of each individual driver be addressed/ignorable without large side effects?

I remember someone posting a picture of a massive altec lansing setup using many drivers which seems to fit this principle. (not a line array, more like a "flower shaped array" where drivers aim at many angles)

Would "comb filtering" be a serious problem in this case, or is comb filtering primarily a crossover overlap problem?

As long as they are time-aligned (both circuitry-wise and mechanically/physically) and they cover the same portion of the frequency spectrum (I.E. crossover, characteristics), I don't see why this would be a problem.

The thing that may happen is that first reflections become a bigger issue, by coming back to interact with a different driver's wavefront out of phase.

One of the E3 speakers uses the following layout to get a point-source: a set of 5 or 7 or I don't remember how many tweeters in a circular array.

I'd be very interested in the answer to this as well, as I am thinking of building an omnidirectional speaker, myself...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.