First project, will it work ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, Ive im about to pull the trigger on a set of FR125s, or kit41, what id like to know before I make the investment, Is will my plan work ;).

Id like to make the kits, with a beutifull cherry and walnut cabinet (my dads a carpenter/cabinetmaker so, hes gonna assist) with lots of nice parts, black chrome speaker spices, etc etc. Im wondering, If it would ok to run some powered subs as stands, same width as the kits but alot taller, probably side firing 10's with 150 watt amps crossed in 80-100hz.

Is this an ok idea ? I dont want extreme volumes, Just about as loud as my jvc mini system. or.. most HTIB. ? The look of the system is about as important as the sound lol.. i dunno why, but If it doesnt look good I wont be happy.

Any thoughts ?

Robertburchell said:
exactly like that ! how do they sound anyways ?

I think they're great. It's nice not having to rely on a single monoaural subwoofer. The bass comes from where it should in the soundstage.
Relieving the WR125S of low bass duties frees it to show it's true strength which is it's excellent mid-range reproduction. Very natural sounding. I'm not sure where Al crossed his over at. Mine is around 250Hz.

vinylkid58 said:
Tim,

Is the Myra your creation? If so, could you give us some details please.
A very handsome system BTW!

Jeff

Thank you. Yes, Myra is my design. It uses 2 Extremis 6.8 drivers in a somewhat TL type cabinet with bipole configuration. I originally wired the drivers in parallel but have since changed them to series. It's amazing how much bass they put out.
The upper portion uses the WR125S and a Hi-Vi planar in a sealed box with a 4th order XO. There is a high pass filter in the top of the bass cabinet so when the upper cab is connected the system behaves like a proper 3-way but can also be removed and played on it's own with a F3 of ~80Hz. I'm not sure of the practicality of that but it's kinda cool.
This is the speaker I was longing to build: Big sound, small footprint.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.