Dipole frames, making a significant difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking about making some dipole baffles for the bass end of my system for some time now, but there's one question I'd like to ask, that I haven't seen others pose yet...

...Does a H frames wings/flares(bits coming forward and backward off the baffle)significantly lower the point where the open baffle design starts to roll off?

I chose the H frame design, because I'm trying to get as high as possible without problems from baffle resonance, do the wings of a H frame lower the roll off point a lot or would someone like myself be better off going with just a flat baffle type of design?

When people design a H frame, most constructions seem to end up with a frame about as wide as deep. So most frames with an effective depth "D" are "D" wide also.

A rectangular flat baffle with an effective radius "D" can be made a bit smaller than 2*D. My estimation: The front silhouette of a flat baffle needs to be at least 1.5 times wider than an equivalent H frame.
The sketches I "borrowed" from Linkwitz´side hopefully illustrate what I mean.

Regarding "because I'm trying to get as high as possible without problems from baffle resonance":
The lambda/4 resonance of a H frame (which has to be cared for/equalized) is NOT determined by the depth D alone, but heavily influenced by the driver too. Please read all about it in: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q28

So if you are lucky the resonance peak may be outside your (extended?) passband. If you are not, it might cut your passband beyond a point you are willing to accept.

Rudolf

Attachments

• comparison.gif
    comparison.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 174
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.