B&W DM603-S3's Anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of these for my main stereo and HT system, but I can't find much information about them anywhere on the web.

If anyone can point me in the direction of crossover schematics, impedance curves and frequency responce curves that would be great, also has anyone tried to mod these speakers?

Cheers for looking

;)

If nobody can help me with this particular model does anyone know if B&W's in general have a fairly level frequency responce in this price range? ~£600 ($900)

I am quite sure their freq. response it flat till the very high end but find them too bright.

what may be "level" to an oscilloscope might not be level to your ears. it is there best to listen to the speakers.

i have really wanted to like the B&W 603 series (I was a big fan of the 801s in the 80s and early 90s) but...

maybe it was my electronics or room...

B&W gets their drivers customs made (I guess in China - almost all big makes get their drivers from China).

From what I know the 603 are fairly easy to drive and have reasonable full range response (about 30Hz to 20k+). With 2 lower bass drivers and a dedicated midrange they should be.

why would yo need the schematics. the crossovers are complex and modelled on expensive machines and I doubt it makes much sense to try and duplicate these speakers as the drive usnt are ot commercially available. if howevre you do need help ask B&W direct. include the S/N numbers.

regards
Navin

oops! I know smaller (in sales) well respected marques that import from China. I am not saying that chinesse stuff if bad just that it is very price worth (cant find the english word but we have a word for "value for money" - German readers will understand -Hindi and German have the same root and our grammar is very similar). It means you get 80% of quality for 10% of price or there abouts.

navin said:
I am quite sure their freq. response it flat till the very high end but find them too bright.

what may be "level" to an oscilloscope might not be level to your ears. it is there best to listen to the speakers.

i have really wanted to like the B&W 603 series (I was a big fan of the 801s in the 80s and early 90s) but...

maybe it was my electronics or room...

B&W gets their drivers customs made (I guess in China - almost all big makes get their drivers from China).

From what I know the 603 are fairly easy to drive and have reasonable full range response (about 30Hz to 20k+). With 2 lower bass drivers and a dedicated midrange they should be.

why would yo need the schematics. the crossovers are complex and modelled on expensive machines and I doubt it makes much sense to try and duplicate these speakers as the drive usnt are ot commercially available. if howevre you do need help ask B&W direct. include the S/N numbers.

regards
Navin

I think you may have misread my original post - I OWN THESE SPEAKERS.

They do sound really nice and I tend to like detail in my treble so I don't mind too much that they are bright (although I wouldn't say they were overly bright compared to some makes).

The reason I want to see the crossover schematics is to possibly employ active bi-amping and I'd like to see the impedance and frequency response curves as I'm curious about these (especially at the low frequencies when two drivers come into play, although I believe you are wrong about the dedicated mid-range as it’s a 2.5 way not 3 way if you do your homework).

Thanks for the post anyway - and it's good to find out they're made in Might Blighty (and not China!) too as I have to say I like British made products - must be my patriotism.

annex666,
yes, lots of resonse from that visit.

Those guys are really crazy about speakers and they perhaps know more about dynamic speakers then anyone else in the world.
They have the future of the loudspeaker in their drawers, I am sure.

More than twenty very experienced people doing the whole day nothing but designing speakers - very impressive.
Enormous amount of technology (several laser interferometry units and a lot of very expensive things I don't remember) and the most impressive thing is: they run extensive simulations on something - and the then they build it: it is doing exactely what the computer said. Unbelieveable. No problem there, they have some very nice rapid prototyping units there.

Am I a fan of the DM603S3? Oh yes, I am. Never listened to an affordeable compact speaker that produced such big sound like the B&Ws. Okay, I prefer the Nautilus 800, but that's another story :D

More pictures from there? No problem, but give me some days for searching the CDs :bawling: and resizing/uploading

Active X-Over with B&W

I have B&W Matrix 804's which i am very happy with.

The sales literature advised that an active X-over would be available but it never materialised.

I was advised by one of their engineers that a sallen & key filter should be used (sorry - don't know db/octave, etc) and that a simple way to determine optimum x-over frequencies was to measure the voltage on the terminals of each of the drivers at various frequencies (via the existing passive x-over) and plot it all out on a graph to work out what the active x-over should be trying to do.

I eventually managed to get a prototype (one of four?) active x-over originally designed by B&W's Steyning research labs for the Silver Signature speakers and had it customised by them for my 804's (which then had the original x-overs removed). The results were quite stunning and i would recommend going active to anyone.

Hope this is of some help.

Sounds promising, I remember writing to B&W once (albeit an email response form on their website) and got a fairly generic responce.

I would imagine it would be quite hard to remove the crossovers from my 603s and also it invalidates the warranty, so idealy i would like B&W to "assist" me in going active, but I fear the chances of this are slim.

:mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.