Cutting Nice Holes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A cheaper alternative is to use a Craftsman all-in-one cutting tool .
It's sort of a glorified drill that can take up to 3/8" router bits and comes with a router base, and a circle cutting guide. Made of plastic though, and the circle guide is not terrible precise so you have to be extra careful when setting up the cuts. I countersunk my woofers and cut circles out of 3/4 thick birch plywood with no problems. I could not, however, countersink my tweeter b/c the circle guide that comes with it does not do circles that small. It all depends on what you need from the tool... the advantage is that it's $50 or $60 at Sears, which is cheaper than the cheapest router they carry. :D

If you have a drill press I'd use circle cutters with it like onasis mentioned.

I should also mention that there is a variant of the craftsman tool that's $30 or so more expensive and comes with a couple more attachments, like an edge guide and a few other things.

scone said:
A cheaper alternative is to use a Craftsman all-in-one cutting tool .
It all depends on what you need from the tool... the advantage is that it's $50 or $60 at Sears, which is cheaper than the cheapest router they carry. :D
I have a £20 plunge router which is the cheapest and most versatile tool in my workshop. It even comes with a few attachments and 5 bits. If you can pick one up for the equivilent in $'s then there is nothing more useful for DIY cabinet making IMO. With a diy jig (a thin plank of wood and a nail) you can rebate and cut baffle holes very accurately.

If you can get a router over here for 20 quid then you should be able to get one over your side of the pond for what, 20 cents maybe :D

I like the circle jig most of the time also. I've recently found myself making the same size holes over and over again so I purchased the appropriately sized hole saw. One issue with the circle jig is that it can make swirl marks on finished surfaces. This is a problem when making rabbets on veneered cabs so I purchased a rabbet bit with various sizes of bearings. This works very well.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The problem I had with a hole saw is that they don't seem to be that accurate. I didn't use a drill press though, so that could be the problem. Wouldn't be a problem for driver mounting, but caused me some greif with holes for ports (they were slightly bigger than they should have been). The other thing to consider is a hole saw won't let you flush mount.......

I made a diy circle jig recently, peice of masonite with a few carefully positioned holes. worked a treat. Only tricky bit is when the hole is smaller than the faceplate of the router, makes it hard to get the pin in the right place! I'd advise not having any holes in the jig close to each other for this reason, or you may end up with a hole out by a mm or so
:xeye:

Tony.

Attachments

• morel speakers 008.jpg
    morel speakers 008.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 763
For larger holes, I built an adjustable device for my router that basically works the same way as a Jasper Jig.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For smaller circles, I use an adjustable hole saw. The style I have is old and somewhat dangerous, but very effective. Newer ones that have 2 or 3 cutting edges instead of just the one like mine seem like they would be safer:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.