Does this device make sense for speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you think this would be helpful in speaker design? Or is there such a device out there already?

How about if there is a DSP instrument which can emulate most type of filters that would usually go into the xover? The software would allow you to sellect different type of filter.

Think of it as a black box active xover that sits between your preamp or cdp and the amplifier. The output of the amplifier would then be connected straight to the driver without going to a xover. During the designing process, instead of designing the xover from various discrete parts, you can play with the DSP black box and fine-tune the filters on-the-flight through a GUI from a computer.

This blackbox DSP for example would have 3 outputs per channel: one for tweeter, one for midrange, and one for the woofer. Each output is independent of each other and can have its own filter. As for input, it would have a digital input to interface directly to the digital output of the transport. It would also have an analog input so that you can connect it to a preamp.

Of course this would only help at the initial stage to give you some idea how each drivers would behave roughly. You still have to deal with other effect of a real xover and how they all interact with the amp and all that such as having a conjugate load or a zobel network. One way is to have the conjugate load or zobel network but the filter will be implemented on the DSP box. You then would just sit at your computer and play with different type of filter.

Kxproject !
(caution: you may never finish the passive crossovers ;) )

Attachments

• kx dsp.jpg
    kx dsp.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 314
Nappylady said:
Or a Soundblaster Live! running with kX drivers

bzdang said:
Kxproject !
(caution: you may never finish the passive crossovers ;) )
Now this is going to sound dumb, but what are KX drivers? Do they allow you to use the PC+SB5.1 card to sim a xover? How many channels and xover ways? Delays too? Where do you get the software? URLs?
I've been contemplating a DCX2496 for the horns I'm playing with, but it's a bit expensive over here, and a cheap, ie the cost of an SB card, project is intriquing. If I could get it to work to my satisfaction with this, cheaply, then the DCX may be a worthwhile purchase.

Variac, they have mastered the art of China-procurement.

Brett, I will answer any questions that I able able to, but please search for and read my other posts first, there is some kxproject information in them already :)

Some recommendations to keep in mind --
- it's possible to purchase a wrong soundblaster card, do homework first!
- practice on woofers first
-it's possible to kill tweeters and compression drivers with low freqs, always check your setup and use a cap. to protect them.
- to avoid loud surprises, run the computer audio at maximum non-clipping levels and set your pwramp levels externally
- current version is 3537, don't get 3538 yet, is beta.
- get the ufx plugins for 3537
- I have the simple delay plugin if you can't find it, ask and I'll mail it

Cheers,
Dave

Variac said:
I see the Behringer DCX2496 online some places now for $250!!
now that's cheap! Either a new model coming out , or they have made so many that their unit cost has plunged!
Not in Australia they're not unfortunately
bzdang said:
Brett, I will answer any questions that I able able to, but please search for and read my other posts first, there is some kxproject information in them already :)
Thanks. I'll do some reading later tonight. My dog is insisting I take him for his walk on the beach now.
Some recommendations to keep in mind --
- it's possible to purchase a wrong soundblaster card, do homework first!
I've got an old Audigy, but it isn't used much and I'm happy to replace it as it's a troublesome pos.
- practice on woofers first
-it's possible to kill tweeters and compression drivers with low freqs, always check your setup and use a cap. to protect them.
- to avoid loud surprises, run the computer audio at maximum non-clipping levels and set your pwramp levels externally
- current version is 3537, don't get 3538 yet, is beta.
- get the ufx plugins for 3537
- I have the simple delay plugin if you can't find it, ask and I'll mail it

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks for the cautions, but I'm experienced in design, and I thought this might be the cheapest way to experiment with digital filtering, before I decide to pop for the Behringer. I'm a hardcore analog guy, so it's s big step to a/d-d/a everything.

So has anyone used the Behringer DCX2496 before???Im pretty interested in something like that...So you can basically "dial in" a frequency and use that to test the speakers-(2/3 ways) and then once you know what frequency and what type of alighnment you are going to use and sound the best, you just build the real x-overs with the usal components...Is this right??

Cheers

Bowdown

That would be pretty neat. The only problem I see is that there is still the issue of the xover interaction with the amp. When you put those L ad C in the xover, the amp will behave a little bit different. Sometimes conjugate load or zobel network are put in the xover to correct the impedance of the driver which the beringher can't help.

Maybe you can put the zobel network in the xover while the beringher adjust the frequency which would be the compromise.

But having a beringher would give you a pretty good idea on how the driver response to different type of frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.