static bias for electrolytics in speaker crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is my first post in the speaker forum. I am reposting my idea which did not draw much response when originally posted in the electronics and parts forum. Background is that my T+A T160E speakers use 3x100uF and 2x400uF in the LF arm which would cost a fortune to replace with film.

biasing electrolytics in speaker crossovers?

I know there has been plenty of discussion about
biasing electrolytics and film in DC blocking apps.

However, a search for crossover AND electrolytic
AND bias drew a blank.

Wouldn't it make sense to replace the large bipolar electrolytics in speaker crossovers with two polar ones of twice the capacity and bias them, e.g. with 1 k resistors to the positive or negative rail of the power amp?

For reference, there is an article by Jung and Marsh http://www.capacitors.com/pickcap/pickcap.htm in which distortion of two back-to-back series connected 6.8uF working into a 680 R load is plotted. Biasing the connecting point of the caps with 5, 10 and 15 V lowers distortion at the crossover frequency from initially 0.03% to 0.01-0.005% with increasing bias voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.