Powered monitors for home DJ application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a design for a powered full-range speaker for use as a monitor at home for DJ practicing.

Audiophile quality isn't required.

There are a lot of commercially available units, but they all seem rather expensive for what they are. I'm sure it must be possible to construct a viable alternative for a fraction of the price.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thx.

I heard the Behringers and I thought the M-Audio's were better for the same money. For not much more, the Yorkvilles are very good. But, all this may still be too expensive for DJ practice.

I think what get's built/bought depends on what's already hooked up in the system. A sub/sat would be about right. Use full-range Tangbands for the sats, cross around 150Hz to a 10-inch sub. If you don't have an amp, then build them active. Should give enough impact to make it feel club-like.

What ever you do, don't run them clipping, that's just bad form, and sadly typical. In most cases, DJ's can run their system 3dB below "normal" and most clubkids would never even notice. Save wear and tear on the shut-down circuits and much of the groaning as people wait for the system to power up again.

If you're practising, why not just use your cans? Are you just looking for a cheap system that will play house parties? If so, then get a pair of good used studio monitors and build yourself a big transmission line sub. If you have amps, use them... if not, go active.

:)ensen.

purplepeople said:

If you're practising, why not just use your cans?

Doesn't quite cut it.
Yes one can hear what's playing in one side and what's to be mixed in the other (if the mixer allows) but it sucks IMHO.
Usually a thumping bass line needs to heard as well as felt while mixing. To be honest I've never mixed while the sound was at low volumes.
Also don't believe little inefficient fullranges are going to cut it even with a 10" sub.
Apexjr has some fullrange amp plates one could pair with some high efficiency drivers.

What do you spin? I spin tribal House.

you go boy!

Get the selenium coax 15 and the plate amp from PE.
That will land you at 400 in amps and drivers.add another 50 in nice plywood and hardware you have a system that you could take to the club od your friends party.
You can not find a better deal,even on ebay.
You will be everyones friend with that setup.If you want to be even cheaper get some 12 inch seleniums and piezos but you wont get as many groupies.Or bass for that matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.