My Speaker Workshop Rig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been at this for a couple days.. I got an old computer from work (PIII 550, 256MB RAM) And, I've been wanting to get a permanent speaker workshop setup going, instead of the pile of components, and aligator clip leads I've been using. So, using the cable diagrams at claudio negro's homepage, I've made a sort of jig that is right in the front of the computer. It contains wiring for a loop cable, has an impedance refrence resistor, along with two calibration resistors. It's also got the wiring for doing acoustic measurements. Next project is to add one of wallin's mic preamps to the rig.

I cut some holes in one of the 5 1/4" bay filler plates for the switches. Then, started wiring. :) Then, drilled the other filler plate for a pair of binding posts, and two 1/4" jacks. The jig was made with parts I had in my parts bin. The big white resistor is my refrence resistor. The calibration resistors are inline with some of the wiring in the zip tied bundles.

A little modification of the soundcard:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After the majority of the wiring:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finished the wiring of the panels:

Installed in the computer:

Taking my first Impedance Measurement with it:

It works great! Measures passive components extremely accurately, and I get TS parameters that seem correct. Next on the list is to build a measurement mic, build a wallin preamp, and put the preamp inside with the jig.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.