Engineered quartz as front baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone experimented with engineered quartz as a front baffle surface. Engineered quartz is generally a pressed quartz in an epoxy matrix and it goes by many trade names, Zodiaq, Silestone, etc. It is used as a kitchen counter material. Its main features are stiffness and weight, I could not find any Tan delta properties. The people who like concrete or marble enclosures might want to look at this. It is easier to cut than marble. Zodiaq comes in 3cm thickness @$60 per sqft, very expensive.

I am looking at this for strictly a front baffle, too expensive otherwise. I have no idea on the internal damping of the material, I expect it is pretty low. I have no experience in these heavy mass enclosures and looking for some input. I am probably too conservative to try it.

For more info.

www.zodiaq.com
www.silestoneusa.com
www.cambriausa.com

cutting engineered quartz

Yes, you need specialized cutters, they don't have to be diamond, they can be sintered carbide. I would have a machinist, or the vendor selling me the stuff cut them to my speciifcations. Allthough it has a higher quartz content (93% quartz-7% binders(epoxy, etc.)) than granite, people claim (people trying to sell me the stuff) it is easier to cut than granite or marble. It just wears tools very fast.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.