Realistic Mach Two woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I'm in search of a replacement woofer for my Mach Two. My son "discovered" home audio and managed to blow the woofer and a channel on my Kenwood Super 11(that's another thread). :rolleyes:

It's a 15" model with only 6 mounting holes. I figure I'll be stuck with an 8 screw model but I wondered if anyone else had been down this road, and what they found was a decent replacement. Parts express has a Pioneer that looks really similar to what's in it. Supposedly rated at 150rms? Or is the standard woofer much better quality than I think?

Thanks, Scott

OMNIFEX said:
Mach Two :xeye:

Aren't those, like, from the 80's?

You can download WINSID, here www.linearteam.org

This speaker may be the closest match to the other working 15.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-130

Good Luck!

LOL :hypno2: Yeah, they're oldschool but they still sound pretty sweet. I use this system in my basement while playing pool. :)

Thanks, I'll run the numbers and find a good replacement. That Dayton looks WAY beefier than what'is in there now though. Maybe that's a good thing. :confused:

Most home stereo 15 inch woofers, were not beefy in those
times. You could search ebay for one of those 29.95 woofers,
but, it will probably sound worse than your working 15.

That Dayton, would be easier on your amplifier. Considering
most home 15's designed today, are 4, 2, 1 ohm, dual voice coils,
and, have very low efficency.

Since you are planning to use it in a fullrange box, you need
something will be comparable in terms of sound as the working

Also, if I remember correctly, the Mach Two, uses foam surround
15's. So, you would be better off with a foam surround woofer, than an acordian surround.

You should checkout the Pioneer as well (Not TAD :D ) They
offer foam surround 15's, as well, and are 8 ohm, using one
voice coil.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-175

The Pioneer probably looks more like your Mach One, than the
Dayton :smash:

Originally posted by OMNIFEX
Since you are planning to use it in a fullrange box, you need
something will be comparable in terms of sound as the working

The Pioneer probably looks more like your Mach One, than the
Dayton :smash:

It does but I also wonder if I'd be better off with the big Dayton, considering the power I'm driving it with. I don't know that the Pioneer would hold up to 125w RMS in a ported box.
:confused:

Well, you won't know which one will work bests, until
you scale the box, and compare the two. :smash:

If you were building a new box, the answer would be obvious.

But, your using it as a replacement.

Scale the box, compare the two, and, if it takes a little
port retunning to make the Dayton shine over the Pioneer,
go for the Dayton.

My first recomendation, is always my first choice.

Dude, no matter what, you'll need to scale the box in WinSID,
try both speakers, and, see which one will work the best.

Don't Be Lazy. Do it right, or sell both Mach Two's on Ebay as is:D

OMNIFEX said:
Well, you won't know which one will work bests, until
you scale the box, and compare the two. :smash:

Don't Be Lazy. Do it right, or sell both Mach Two's on Ebay as is:D

Oh, I will when I get home tonight. There is a significant difference in pwr ratings between the two though. That's what I was getting at I guess.

Yeah, a pair sold last night for $285! Hmmmm. I took a look at the "real" specs on Radio Shack's site. Apparently they're only rated for 40 rms. :smash:

Dude.

A few years ago, I helped a buddy of mine, replace his 12 inch
woofers in his Scott 100 watt per channel rack system after
they died at his little get together. :drink: :drunk: :eguitar:

When I pulled out the twelve's, the magnet was half the size
of a CD :bigeyes:

The wattage on the magnet stated 20 watts :D

Typical method used in speakers made in the 80's. :angel:

With heavy bass electronic music today being the standard,
you can bet, you would've lost those speakers sooner or later. :cool:

Sounds like anyone will be more than enough. At least until
a new type of music dominates the market :devilr:

Ok, I ran the program after plugging in several of the Parts Express woofers. No luck. The Mach One has a volume of about 3.06 cubic ft. and a port tube of about 2.5"s. Nearly all of the closest woofers want a "vented" box with 5 or more cubic ft. So, why not seal the port? This should give me more power capability shouldn't it and would fall in line with the proper box size for the woofers? Will the crossovers be compatible with a sealed box? They're a fairly elaborate design with "light bulbs" mounted to the circuit board, to soak some of the current in an overdrive condition(at least that's my guess). I can light them pretty easy with the still working channel of the Super 11, and the Technic's will light them at full tilt. I didn't know they were in there until I pulled that bad woofer out. :idea:

I'll be driving these with either my newly acquired Technics SA-505(63 wpc rms) or if I get it working, a Kenwood Super 11(125 wpc rms). Both of these are capable of overdriving the old, still working woofer in the other Mach Two but boy does it sound pretty good.

I really appreciate the input on getting these "oldschool" speakers brought back to life.

Scott:cool:

Mach 2's

I used the dual radial super horn tweeters that are in the Mach 2's for a DIY project when i was a kid back in 1983
That tweet played to 50k!! and was only like 3db down at 100 degrees off axis or something whacky like that... BRIGHT for sure.
As for the 15 from that era I think those were the ceramic magnet poly surround 15's which were identical to the 12"s they used to sell.
You might call around and see if some Radio Shack store has an old stock 15" driver laying around.
As they dont sell drivers anymore.
I managed to find that tweeter to repair one a friend baked last year in my old pair.

Re: Mach 2's

romancenturion said:
You might call around and see if some Radio Shack store has an old stock 15" driver laying around.
As they dont sell drivers anymore.
I managed to find that tweeter to repair one a friend baked last year in my old pair.

No luck. I tried a couple RS's and they said I'm sol. I think the Pioneer above would do the job. I'm a little concerned it won't handle the power in the ported cabs. I guess I can seal them up. I'm thinking the Dayton 300 w rms ones won't be efficient enough for the super bright tweeter and midrange. Thoughts about this one? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-325 It looks to be a good compromise between the other 2?

I also have a bad tweeter. I thought that'd be easy to replace. Maybe not. I don't suppose you have any idea on a comparable replacement to the super horn. Looks like they have gone away? This metal dome is what I'm guessing would be a decent fit? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-512

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.