Cerwin Vega 189SC, anyone with experience?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im currently building a sub box with a 189SC (stroker) in it.
Does anyone have any experience with these drivers.
I have a box volume of net volume 210 litre and planned for 2 four inch tubes but the length is not defined yet.
Maybe need 3 tubes?
Data on element is
Fs 22.5
Qts 0.145
Vas 280.
Xmax about 9 mm.

Anyone who want to start a ritual debate about what is recommended ? :)

/Mikael

Why so big? I would think 100 liters tuned to 25Hz would be enough for that driver. one 4" port about 12" (30cm) long would work, but would have chuffing trouble at high volumes. 2-4" ports would each have to be 2 feet (60cm) long.

This is kind of an EBS alignment, and would need a sub crossover.

we used to install the strokers in cars. Great speaker, but they always required huge boxes and they honestly need about 1000 (one-thousand) watts to really get cookin.

4.5 cubic feet was not uncommmon for the 18" model, 3.5 cubic feet for teh 15", and 3 feet for the 12" All ported around 30hz

Ron E said:
Why so big? I would think 100 liters tuned to 25Hz would be enough for that driver. one 4" port about 12" (30cm) long would work, but would have chuffing trouble at high volumes. 2-4" ports would each have to be 2 feet (60cm) long.

This is kind of an EBS alignment, and would need a sub crossover.

Well i have tossed and turned about the volume i read books and looked at Cerwin's design and i want the box to play really deep so i picked a rather large volume. Originally it was 270 litre but with bracing, tubes and driver subtracted i ended up with 210 litre.
I tried different softwares with port calculations and i cant get 2 answers that say the same thing so i guess i start with 2 4 inch tubes about 60 in length an work my way up the band until i find a nice roll off and no big humps in the response.
So 25 Hz is recommended ? not lower ?.
Sub crossover is defenitely required, dont want all that lower midrange upper bass roaring all over :) low pass at 80 maybe or lower, depends on the other speakers ability.

/Mikael

Originally posted by urapnes we used to install the strokers in cars. Great speaker, but they always required huge boxes and they honestly need about 1000 (one-thousand) watts to really get cookin.

4.5 cubic feet was not uncommmon for the 18" model, 3.5 cubic feet for teh 15", and 3 feet for the 12" All ported around 30hz

Ok , you say large boxes, is that for the new produced strokers? The one i'm buliding for is the old PA stroker and its not the same thing, looks the same but there is a difference "they" say.
But much power is required that's true.

/Mikael

I know a little bit about the old school Strokers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D

urapnes is correct on the box sizes. This enclosure that I'm using is pretty much spot on for what he said, but it's tuned higher to about 36-38 Hz with a big port, since I don't need super deep bass with death metal. It just needs to be LOUD.

The TV above it is a 65", so you get the idea of the box size in general. Double-wall using 3/4" MDF all the way around, with the slot port turned to one side. Yea, it's a heavy, but solid sucker.

uc

I'm powering it with a bridged Peavey CS800X, 1200W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohm. The Stroker laughs and giggles with the little tick from the amp, while my glass sliding doors and house windows are asking for mercy. :)

Napalm Death would be proud.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Why look any further? I've been modeling/building subwoofer boxes since the days of Bullock's BoxModel and BPBoxModel on Win95. :) Of course now a days I use either WinISD Pro Alpha, BassBox, or my favorite: Akabak. :)

What kind of F3 are you looking for, and what is the intended purpose? Music only? Music and Movies? Have you had experience playing test tones to see what kind of F3 you really need? Now a days, I no longer tune low just for the sake of it, or just to get a flat response, but purposefully tune to extend the F3 only as low as I need it.

By the way, if those parameters are correct, that woofer is an amazing candidate for a tapped horn that would play low AND loud, if you are willing to use a big box.

Last edited:
Good questions! And sorry for my maybe bad english.

The purpose is mainly to be the sub in a home movie system.

Front speakers will be my Cerwin Vega 1215´s so i´m thinking the 189sc will continue to dig where the 1215:s no longer perform their best. Maybe only below ~100-150Hz, how does that sound?

How big would a tapped horn have to be?

See my sketch for the room. I have space behind the wall..

Attachments

• gillestuga.jpg
    gillestuga.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 85
What would be best suitable with the spec?
Placement would be as the sketch, behind the wall.

I´m thinking of a crossover frequency between the 189SC and the Front 1215 at maybe 100Hz. The 1215 goes from 24Hz alone, but i want to let the 189SC take care of that..

So F3 "as low as possible" would be nice i guess?

Of COURSE that would be nice. The problem is that you can't dictate one spec like that. F3 can be shifted very low, but then the problem is both enclosure volume and sensitivity take a nose dive, as well as possibly mechanical power-handling (all things equal, halving the F3 necessitates 4x the excursion from the driver, relatively speaking). Specify one actual F3 number, and set a limit for the other one (either maximum enclosure size OR minimum acceptable 2.83V sensitivity), and then the remaining variable will be accounted for as a compromise, and I am more than willing to help. Otherwise it's a waste of my and your time.

I haven´t made any measurements of the room characteristics. The "only" things i have is the data in this thread from the 189SC, the spec of the 1215, and thought of where i want to cross over. And a wish to build a box for the 189SC that digs "as deep as practically possible".

Theroretically there is no maximum enclosure size since there is a whole room behind the wall that i´m going to build.

But if the numbers, ideas or data than what i have said in this thread so if that is not enough for some examples or ideas we´ll let it go and i´ll just go trial and error! :)

I know a little bit about the old school Strokers:

urapnes is correct on the box sizes. This enclosure that I'm using is pretty much spot on for what he said, but it's tuned higher to about 36-38 Hz with a big port, since I don't need super deep bass with death metal. It just needs to be LOUD.

The TV above it is a 65", so you get the idea of the box size in general. Double-wall using 3/4" MDF all the way around, with the slot port turned to one side. Yea, it's a heavy, but solid sucker.

I'm powering it with a bridged Peavey CS800X, 1200W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohm. The Stroker laughs and giggles with the little tick from the amp, while my glass sliding doors and house windows are asking for mercy. :)

Napalm Death would be proud.

Do you ever sell any of your strokers? I am doing a build for the old school spl challenge and would love to rock some strokers.
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.