Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thought of the day..
Thought of the day..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2001, 04:14 AM   #11
Sawzall is offline Sawzall
diyAudio Member

Default I hear ya...

No, analog is still hanging in, but few youngsters will be exposed to it the way we were. I had a *very* understanding salesman at a highend store spend many hours with me, auditioning lots of stuff, stuff he knew I could not afford for years, to develop the, well, love of it. To show me that with the right stuff, it was three diminsional. That with the right shopping, you could get OK, if not great, stuff - but ignore all that hype. That the JBL hump was really junk, no matter the sales hype. Yes, it was ok to buy this Grado cart even if it was so much cheaper. Trust your ears. I ended up spending alot of money with him. But he had no way of knowing that. He just did it as part of his service.

With rare exception, that won't happen today. Hell, find a highend store that would let a kid in to listen to everything in the store. Hell, find a highend store period.

And you are right. They are trashing their ears. I eqed the car, but with earplugs. I worked prosound for several years, but allways wore the plugs. Now at 40 I am thankful.

And to your other point. My concern is not overdriving the driver. But even in a non-overdriven driver, they are subject to overshoot - the mass is moving and something has to stop it. There is mechanical effects of the spider and such. There is the damping from the amp. You can provide lots of damping by design (large Q cab), but that has a negative effect too. So to me, I may foolishly look for additional help to keep the driver from that overshoot, even at reasonable levels. And even at reasonable levels, the subwoofer does have to make big movements to get pressure at the lowest of octaves.
Old 28th June 2001, 04:52 AM   #12
GRollins is offline GRollins  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to enjoy spending time with the younger critters back when I was still in the business, as they were somewhat less likely to have absorbed a bunch of hooey from all the ads and stuff. That, and they enjoyed the *music*--unlike so many people who get so wrapped in themselves and in the equipment that they lose sight of the music. Once you get someone who gives a damn about music, the rest will flow naturally, as they will use their ears rather than fall prey to some b.s. techno-hype with lotsa numbers and low distortion. Once you've exposed the lies (and to be fair, there are some people who just don't know any better) they never look back. They always follow the music.
One of my favorite customers was a violinist in the local symphony. She was soooo weary of numbers that didn't mean good sound. I sat her down and let her listen to some decent gear--didn't say a word--and let her ears take a rest. After that...she was hooked. Why? She loved music, and wasn't about to let some stupid numbers tell her that her ears were wrong. Good for her!
As for drivers and low end (home only--I gave up on auto sound years ago), I went from 4xKEF B139 per channel (1/2" excursion--each driver roughly equivalent to a 10") to six 12" (Dayton 'Titanic,' 1" excursion) per channel. I don't play all that loudly, but insist on accuracy, as thirty years as a bassist (plus a love of organs and other low frequency instruments) have taught me that most speakers that claim low frequency accuracy are, to put it politely, not quite realistic in their claims. At any rate, even at what I consider pretty substantial volumes, and with Chinese drum recordings or seriously deep organ pedals, I'm only using about 1/4" transit. My old rig went deep, but got rubbery because the drivers went out of their linear range. This time around, I've managed a lot more accuracy, although I still have much more to do. I won't waste more space here, as I've detailed that project elsewhere.

Grey

Thought of the day..Hide this!Advertise here!