Meridian M10

Saw these for the first time. They have something of a brutalist flair, no?

Meridian_M10_2_AllegroSound.jpg

It got me thinking, being that the driver layout is the exact opposite of what Ive seen so much here with regards to creating a time coherent point source mtm. In the m10 The two opposing mids are behind the tweeter slightly and angled upwards and down. Then they are actively time aligned to give some type of effect of a live singer (or so its advertised). Could there be any advantage to this or other strange driver layouts being that they can just be time aligned actively. Or was this just a bad idea acoustically?

$_86.JPG

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! some trip down memory lane...
Meridian had been known for their electronics of course and they likely had some knowledge to design good loudspeakers or they had some help. I imagine Boothroyd and or Stuart driving a van loaded with loudspeaker designs between Cambridge and Maidstone ;) KEF probably donated generously. Well, more likely KEF had some share in Meridian.

So all in all this might have been a well executed design. I never heard them though.

A lot of designs these days refrain to delaying signals to individual drivers too. Delays only are useful within a listening window. Physical aligning of acoustic centers on a vertical axis brings more coherence (the wavefront becomes a cylinder) while a point source like well-designed coaxial drivers succeeds in making a complete spheric wavefront. That is, in theory, since acoustic centers are not constant over the frequency range.

I heard these at a show many decades ago they were playing a piano piece and sounded so good I wanted a pair but to expensive at that time.Meridian were always at the for front of innovation and the active speakers they produced were always and still are special but they are not everyone's cup of tea.