8" Woofer Yamaha NS-A335

Picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-A335 at a yard sale for $4. Got 'em home, listened and boring sound. Pretty boomy. Opened 'em up, not much of a crossover. No inductor on woofer, 4.7uf on the mid, 2.2uf on the tweeter. Cab is about 23 liters. The 8" woofer looks kinda' decent though. Ribbed paper cone, cloth surround, in good shape. Any experience with these or NS-A635. Also an Optimus version. Rebuilt box, new front baffle with only woofer opening. Stuffed with polyfill but still boomy. No measuring capability here however woofer seems to go pretty high. Any suggestions or time to move on. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 126
You'll have to use fiberglass damping to reduce the boominess but the woofer has a very high Qts and the enclosure is small, so you won't be able to get rid of all the loose bass without excess loss of low end.

As you're probably already aware of, these are budget speakers, so lots of manufacturing compromises to be dealt with here. Maybe try stiffening the cab walls with some dowels.

For crossover (or lack thereof) you could just start with a modest series inductor for the woofer LP ie. maybe 1.0 mH. For the mid 6 - 8 uF +.15 mH in series and a 2 uF cap on the tweeter. One woofer inductor will cost you more than you paid for both speakers, so not sure if this is good financial advice.

I have 3 635 on LCR HT. Once I equalized the level and set them to small on the receiver, they are aceptable (so they have a digital xover about 90 Hz). I have not used them with full range stereo. I have not place any extra dampening material inside, but that sounds like a good idea. I placed mine over 2" foam stands. I thought of improving the xover, pretty basic as it stands, but I realized it is not cost effective and I decided to enjoy them till I get something different/ better.

and yes, the woofer looks very nice.