Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Martin X12 Blackline pro 2 way speaker evaluation
Martin X12 Blackline pro 2 way speaker evaluation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2021, 08:34 PM   #11
profiguy is offline profiguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. Ive been preoccupied with health issues so I haven't been able to do any more forensics.

I agree the woofer is probably an oem 1225e, but the surround is different. Maybe they did this to keep the motor from bottoming to early, trying to avoid warranty issues, but it does hurt low end linearity somewhat.

The bumpiness is for sure a combination of cabunet shape, dimensional proportions and lack of good dampening combined with port output. The low mid weirdness is my biggest pet peve with this speaker. I can tolerate alot, but cabinet/resonance problems bug me the most. Doing a static sweep with my hands on the cab, I can feel excess movement mostly in the front baffle but also to a lesser degree around the port walls. That unsupported outside wall of the port needs more bracing. There are also some peaks in the acoustic output from the port.

That small 0.8uF cap doing the CD shelf eq causes a huge impedance peak in the mids. I'm sure they did that to save money. The top end is pretty good given its a budget HF driver and CD horn with parallel walls in the throat area. There is also a fairly big discrepancy between both woofer's specs and it shows up in the impedance sweep. Still pretty good for a budget PA speaker, especially comparing most off the shelf junk you can get from a place like Guitar Center.
Old 10th June 2021, 10:59 PM   #12
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds about the same as my main complaints for the EAW.

Great for the price though. A similar sized box with a premium woofer and Baltic birch construction can easily cost 2.5 times more.

I did drop in a BMS 15" just to hear the difference. Lower measured distortion at higher levels than the stock woofer. Sounded cleaner as well.

I do not like this box as a bass guitar monitor. Plenty of low end but can never get a nice tight sound out of it and the processing reacts strangely. Sounds great for music playback.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hope you feel better!

Last edited by ErnieM; 10th June 2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11th June 2021, 02:29 AM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Martin X12 Blackline pro 2 way speaker evaluationHide this!Advertise here!