B&W 700 Series Tweeter Repair

Hi Folks,

I would like to tap your brains for repair on a Bowers Wilkins 700 Series Tweeter. I have attached a thumbnail schematic. Its the classic and almost hilarious story of kids pushing in the dome and wrecking voice coil. B&W spare parts in Australia list the replacement part ZZ14137
as unavailable. I have tried replacing it with the ebay diaphragm but results very unsatisfactory.

Ay suggestions on how I might proceed? Anyone reputable who make replacement parts for B&W or any way I might replace the whole assembly? If so how to match a replacement tweeter to the B&W crossover?

Many thanks

Luke

Attachments

• 703 tweeter.JPG
    703 tweeter.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
I would search for a faceplateless design tweeter (perhaps tymphany-oc25sc65-04) and adjust the x/o to accomodate for good listening experience but that would have involved measurements and know-how. Is bowers unit a 1" class drive unit?

I suppose buying another B&W product like a central speaker is out of the question for spare parts purposes only.

Last edited:
Thanks Lojzek.

Yes, its 25.9mm. Working through some x/o adjustments would defiantly be a stretch assignment, but one I would really enjoy no doubt. I have rebuilt a few x/o's that have had damaged parts, but would need some guidance on that task. I wonder if there is any reference material out there might help.

I am keeping an eye out for matching products on the secondary market. Irony that so many B&W products that come up for sale have damaged tweeters :) But yes I am keeping a look out for a smaller set in the series that has working tweeters. I also have two spare units from the previous B&W series the CDM series, the assembly for which seems very similar to the ones I need, slightly shallower so would require some adjustments to housing.

Thanks again for your advice, It's much appreciated.

Luke

Last edited:
You'll have to look on ebay for an original used one. That's not a bad tweeter and any aftermarket replacement won't come close to it. Replacing it with a soft dome is going to completely change the character of sound and will require crossover mods.

Maybe try one of those smaller LPG 26NA metal domes if you're up to the challenge.

Luke,

very good, use cdm series tweeters and make these adjustments. For example, by the service manual of 703, tweeter filter reads 0R5, 4u7, 0.15mH, 10uF and cdm 7 the same without the resistor part. 704 almost the same as 704 except 3u3 in place of 4u7. Tweeters appear to be close relatives.

Which of 700 series is yours?

Last edited: