Alternatives to piano black paint

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a large floor standing pair up loudspeakers , I would like to finish in half Satin and half gloss black. The prep and amount of paint time needed it's difficult for me to do the gloss black. I cannot imagine using vinyl, as the seems would seem to be difficult to not show. Unless you know of a vinyl trick I could learn. Just wondering if there are any other Alternatives out there, or if I'm going to be sanding and recoating a ton? Thank you

You could use 2 pack automotive paint, using gloss clear coat and satin clear coat over the same flat black base.

Or how about using thin (2mm or 3mm)black Perspex to glue onto the gloss parts ?

I've used vinyl wrap for speakers before, you do have to be careful as any lumps and bumps do show through.

Rob.

..as Rob has mentioned: Flat Black paint let dry.

Clear coat on top of that, multiple thin coats (make sure that any bubbles are removed/sanded): dry between coats before reapplication.

If you can lay-up the final layer very clear then you don't need to do any rub-out finish. I've used Minwax clear gloss for that *final layer and could sometimes get that result.

*I've also used it on all clear coat layers, but tend to get an uneven finish as a result.

Last edited:
About 2 to 3 coats of 'board for coverage, and about 2 coats for the 'shades. You can sand and add another if you see fit.
That clear coat is good stuff! I've used it on plexi to smoke it, and as clear on other stuff. Be advised that it goes a long way. More than 3 coats usually is not needed in most any case, and more than 2 on plexi gets too opaque to view through.
With the deep board flat paint, and the black clear, it is a very deep black finish and is super easy if your prep is solid.

Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.