Amp channel power for 3-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I want to go with a 4x100RMS amp to power 3-way Front and 2-way rear via passive crossovers.

Power rating of the front 3-way speaker:
Midwoof: 100W@4Ohm 90dB
Mid: 40W@4Ohm 93dB (2" speaker, the car is '95 BMW E34 with Hi-Fi option)
Tweet: 100W@4Ohm 91dB

Rear is the same minus mids.

The exact amplifier I'm thinking about is HELIX M FOUR DSP, 3 ways are HELIX P 63C.

Will this amp be enough or should I be looking at 150-200RMS amps?

The other amplifier I consider is a 6-channel STEG SDSP 6, 6x100RMS, will this be a better choice for the 3-way I'm considering? Both amps have 10 channel DSP, but I believe that Audiotech-Fischer has a better unit?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've got 4 amps, 3 * 150w and the last at about 200w
Tri or quad amping.
Honestly I could use about half that and it would still be plenty as I usually listen at about 10 to 12 watt peaks, just enough power to make the Vifa drivers "sing" and that is bordering on too loud at 101dB, 5 watts gives me about 96dB.

Hi guys,

I want to go with a 4x100RMS amp to power 3-way Front and 2-way rear via passive crossovers.

Power rating of the front 3-way speaker:
Midwoof: 100W@4Ohm 90dB
Mid: 40W@4Ohm 93dB (2" speaker, the car is '95 BMW E34 with Hi-Fi option)
Tweet: 100W@4Ohm 91dB

Assuming 6dB of baffle step compensation, with 100W, you should be able to reach somewhere louder than 'too loud,' but not really to rock concert/dance club 'can barely hear people yelling at me from 3 feet away' levels.

Most people would be perfectly happy with a 30W mini-amp.

I listen to classical, at about 1/4 W base level. 1 Vpp on 8 ohms.
I have 70 w/ch for 72 db peaks off the CD. My ST120 amp is good for that for 5 seconds at a time with only one pair output transistors.
I had 101 db 1w1m speakers at those levels.
If you know anything about a piano, you will be underwhelmed with 30 w/ch. 35 w/ch was okay for 1970, but I like double that now, for crisp hammer hits of a Steinway grand. Then there is always the cannon shot in 1812 Overture. Unfortunately the only sources of that I have are LP, with 55 db S/N. Recording engineer rode the gain on that, even the Mercury Living Presence LP. I'm always disappointed when I hear the strings get softer on an orchestra performance, when the brass jumps in. Bad engineering. Of course pop music, you're lucky if you get 15 db dynamic range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.