KEF 105/2

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi Brett,

I don't think so,

Having refurbishing one, I can say the filter is curent hungry and is on the difficult side to make it sounds at best !

They need curent and muscles... a lot ! They can make you deaf with their strong 112 dB without being shy if well amplified ! A holy good speaker imho, despite its low bass - but powerfull and ok with most of Pop Rock- It just needs power ! The good new is the straight resistive load ! but you have to feed 5 drivers per channels with an average 3.8 to 4 ohms load iirc ! So it needs current :), perhaps not big watts but at least current and strong power supplies !

I'm sure the 105 is pretty less starving and I will go with the Yam. and even the very old Yam. PA range of the 80s & 90S - I don't speak about the smps lines-

Good speaker (the 104/2), yes colored, yes not the most transparent, but furiously musical ones : no brainers to listen to music - I personally rate them as high end :). I listened to a Kef Blade 2 I found borring cause not so coherent and natural on the whole bandwidth !

Last edited:
I drive my 104/2's with an F4. Had a set of 104ab previously which are 8ohm, and with the 104/2's i didn't notice any real difference in output, volume attenuator in my preamp is still in the same position. Don't get me wrong, the 104/2's have much deeper lungs when you push them, but for normal listening levels they don't appear to be any more difficult to drive.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well for me there were differences not subbtle : tried with Chord and Nad pro amps as some more casuals hifi amps !

Attacks is the difference ! At least my experience both with planars and good DAC too ! Ok it sounds god with little amps, but damn they can rock ant this is where they shine for my tastes ! I beleive despite the straigth on impedance curve, the low end and low mid starve !

Last edited:
Hi Brett,

I don't think so,
Good for you. I don't agree.

Having refurbishing one, I can say the filter is curent hungry and is on the difficult side to make it sounds at best !

They need curent and muscles... a lot !
Based upon what? Just your opinion? What did you measure to show that it is "current hungry" a statement I've heard many times, yet seldom actually proven.

I drove my 104/2 loud with a super cheap Sherwood AVR. Didn't sound any different with my large high current ME amp.

They are very flat impedance, and very easy to drive. You are experiencing audiophilia nervosa.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Calm down Brett, it's not an audiophile nervosa, it was my experience for real :mad:

Ok, it was easy for you and I experienced differences between amps, I dont know why I should suffer of such stupid answer from you ! Quite disapointed... I tested it with quite enough difference amps, you don't know before having testing one which does the trick ! Stay with your certitudes !

The good new is the straight resistive load ! but you have to feed 5 drivers per channels with an average 3.8 to 4 ohms load iirc ! So it needs current :), perhaps not big watts but at least current and strong power supplies !
We started the topic with the classic 105.2 with three drivers. The 104.2 and 107 of course are different, but those had the impedance extensively corrected to a practical 4Ω resistive load IIRC. The 105.2 is an easy load but if you want to play it loud, you need an amp that can deliver the voltage swing in a clean way.

Good discussion �� a little bit hot �� I’m thankful.

Considering the comments above, I suppose my Yamaha s-3000 will play KEF 105.2 with no problem. The s-3000 is 100Wpc, but 25kg with massive toroidal transformer. Currently I’m playing towers Monitor Audio RX6. Big difference from my older Rega Mira 3. The Yamaha has much of power.

I like the Rega sound. I wished the Elicit-r, however I am a little disappointed with its specs, 105Wpc but 13kg, so I doubt it have enough power.

No kiddin'
That A-S3000 will fit the bill just fine. Easily. These aren't party speakers. 107dB max SPL, above that the speaker starts to distort severely. You would need about 28V for that. And guess what, your amp does about 28V.
If the voice coil of the B300 bass unit might rub, rotate it 120 degrees.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Okay, so here's the poop on the 105.2s. I bought mine new in 1978 along with a pair of Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 105 mono amps. 100wpch. Toroidal transformers are 150va. Very compact system. However the Meridians are capable of a reputed 7db headroom. The Kefs bear this out ime because I have to deliberately overdrive the amps to get the clipping LED to flash. These amps are easily able to drive them to their max output. High current demand? Okay, but they're still only 150va per ch. amps. At that size of transformer, that 7db is certainly short duration. But it does serve to demonstrate the demands of the KEFs. They are definitely an easy load as long as peak demands are met, as with any speaker.

The Meridians are a perfect match for them btw. They are still the most transparent amps I've ever heard and I've listened to lots of amps over the last 40 years.

@diyiggy

First of all, you have no right to determine my emotional state as you don't know me and I resent being called stupid by you. I don't know why I should have to suffer being directly insulted by you.

I've been designing and building amplifiers for decades, as well as testing with people who claimed to be able to determine differences, and lets say, because of this extended experience, I sincerely doubt you. Just because you make a claim, I am under no obligation to give it credence.

Calm down Brett, it's not an audiophile nervosa, it was my experience for real

Ok, it was easy for you and I experienced differences between amps, I dont know why I should suffer of such stupid answer from you ! Quite disapointed... I tested it with quite enough difference amps, you don't know before having testing one which does the trick ! Stay with your certitudes !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Sorry, you have begun with your silly words "Nervosa audiophiles, blah" which is indeed unacceptable as you don't know me and this is what I recalled you : end of the story and you should apply your words to yourself in spite of tempting such explanation.

I experienced not the same thing that you and I have not to be worded like you did for that, so I eventually said to calm yourself ! Don't be surprise people defend themselves if you lack of the basic education. If when I say I don't think so you feel yourself offensed then you have a serious problem but I don't have to be the victim of such thing, so no you were not insulted, I was .

I don't matter about you are able to design amps, I have many and I have addhad this speaker I refurbished with care (filters, donuts, ferrofluid) and tested with tons of amps, cables, DACs. This is my equal right not to approve your claims about this speaker ! Cause amps just really make a difference with the 104/2 . Note I didn't spoke about the 105 as I didn't tested them.

Last edited: