Recommendation of speakers for my living room - line arrays or?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
My living room arrangement is really speaker unfriendly. Its dimensions are 578 x 391 x 250 cm (L x W x H) and there are basically only two places for speakers on the front wall.

1. in the ceiling corners - max box height ca 33 cm - or in the middle for some kind of single box stereo arrangement.
2. into the corners - line arrays 170 cm long starting at the ceiling, limited in width to about 15 cm or slightly more if built with angled baffle to avoid the heating pipes. Or small satellites (like Bose:) ) Or long thin DML panels masked as decorations...

There are some options for hiding subwoofers if necessary (TV table, lower right corner if made in a special shape to fit around the pipes somehow.

The listening position is ca 3 m from the front wall. There is an opening to another room on the left (ca 200 x 220 cm) and a window on the right of the corner.

The main use would be stereo music but they would be also used as TV speakers.

A commercial option would be a Bose sub/sat system with single/dual cubes slightly above ear height or a DSP soundbar above the TV. I heard the Bose dual cube sub/sat system as Jukebox speakers in a bar that is at least three times the size of my living room and it was quite adequate and the sound was not too bad when sitting at the correct position.

This should not be the best of the best, but the best compromise for my living room. I have two great systems around the house, this would be for the family to enjoy loud and clear sound as well. Exotic suggestions are very welcome:) and a CNC for cutting any weird shapes will be at my disposal. Using ceiling reflections, omnidirectional, Sonab style mounting, anything. WAF factor is something to consider, but unorthodox solutions may look attractive and decorative.

Attachments

• FFB95362-9468-4E8D-8BC0-04975D604066.jpeg
    FFB95362-9468-4E8D-8BC0-04975D604066.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 0F4F7BE6-DF27-4DEF-A8CD-DAA9CCD0CB77.jpeg
    0F4F7BE6-DF27-4DEF-A8CD-DAA9CCD0CB77.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 351
  • B5EAEC40-6033-4251-AE34-B864820BFA4A.jpeg
    B5EAEC40-6033-4251-AE34-B864820BFA4A.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 326
The main use would be stereo music but they would be also used as TV speakers

that's a challenge because the layout of the room wrt the TV position is very asymmetrical

BUT there is a solution for You, and it is one with a very high WAF, just move the TV slightly to the right, then You can place a stereolith-like loudspeaker behind the TV and there You are - You have a "single stereo speaker with direct sound blocked", best solution for Your need - "for the family" listening to some music and watching TV

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, the TV can be (and at some point will be) shifted to the right to the window edge, the table will be replaced with another one. Any recommendations for a Stereolith-like design? Side firing woofers and up firing tweeter(s) pointed at an angle sideways?

I actually need to try my 34c9 loudspeakers on both sides of the TV.

Edit: I actually think some backloaded horns with up firing terminus and with relatively narrow footprint could be accepted as well:)

Last edited:
Yes, the TV can be (and at some point will be) shifted to the right to the window edge, the table will be replaced with another one. Any recommendations for a Stereolith-like design? Side firing woofers and up firing tweeter(s) pointed at an angle sideways?

or one double VC midbass upfiring and two tweeters firing sideways etc. so many possibilities

Edit: I actually think some backloaded horns with up firing terminus and with relatively narrow footprint could be accepted as well:)

another choice is TimeDomain Yoshii9/Linkwitz Watson type of fullrange with separate subwoofer

http://www.timedomain.co.jp/product/yoshii9_mk2.html
WATSON-Stereo_Expansion_Loudspeakers

Joined 2008
Paid Member
This style would be also acceptable. I could fit two 13 cm wide speakers on each side of the TV - or some mini satellites on stands. The TV itself does not sound too bad - it looks like there are two fullrangers and a mini subwoofer inside, I could find only one BR port at the bottom. I have some FaitalPro 3FE22s that could be put into small 3D printed enclosures and I can actually start experimenting with different positions and arrangements.

A pair of Peavey SP2g s mounted on poles in the upper front corners of the room on the TV wall would sound nice. They aim HF down at your head, works great in my 14'x11'x33' music room. I sit 10' from front wall on a couch on the left side. I turn the right speaker left a bit to aim at my head, unless I'm sitting in kitchen 33' away. Actually while eating stereo image doesn't matter much. No TV in music room, TV has its own amp & 6 1/2" coxial speakers.
Those speakers (SP2-XT or SP2-g, not predecessors) cover 54 hz to 17 khz +- 3 db with 2nd 3rd harmonic distortions down 20 db @ 1w. I use about 1/8 w base level even though my room is crowded with urethane stuffed furniture, book & record shelves, organ. With carpet & acousic tile, not a lot of standing waves in my room. My hearing ends @ 14 khz, so 17-20 khz don't matter to me.
These speakers can sound like a live piano, which I've never heard before. No magnaplaners nearer than Boston, I imagine. JBL 4322 may be the same,the specs look good but no HD spec I can find. Never heard a 4322, not for sale here, nearest used ones in PA 1500 miles away. I tested SP2-XT with piano CD before purchase, was thrilled at accuracy. BTW predecessor SP2 have 800hz crossover and 150 w RMS rating, not 300 W rating of SP2-XT & SP2g. May not sound as good.
The poles the speakers mount on are called speaker stands, have folding tripods at the bottom.
My SP2-XT were hauled off by a burlar 9/14, looking to build some more since I don't have a car any more to haul internet bargains home. The 2" Peavey Rx22 horns are available cheap on ebay, advantage they cross over at 2000 hz (g model) or 1200 hz (the SP2-XT I just lost). SP2 always burn the woofer, hardly ever the horn. I don't think 1" horns I've found elsewhere (eminence, APT) could cross over as low. Lots of comments on this forum about 15" woofers beaming at 1200 hz & above. The eminence DeltaPro-15A woofer I'm looking at has a +5db rise 1200 hz & above. crossing over @1200 avoids the whole problem.
Still trying to figure out how Peavey got -3 db @ 54 hz out of a 1505-8KATD BW 15" woofer. Sealed cabinet. All the Eminence woofers drop 20-30 db below 100 hz on their huge baffle, except the 84 db lab 15, and that sensitivity is too low for my 35 w/ch tube amp. Aiming for 101 db 1w1m like the SP2-XT, although the 98 of SP2g would be okay. DSP is not an option, I don't have a smart android cell phone nor a windows computer, and won't be buying one either. Windows is under constant attack. Lubuntu is only used by poor people, it never gets viruses. Lubuntu never updates for 40 minutes while I'm trying to use it, either.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I wish I could have these in my living room - or any similar sized speakers. Waveguide + woofer is something I know and like. I would need to use some smaller and definitely not black. As I think about it, having a small PA in my living room is not such a bad idea as it might seem on the first thought.

Why not just buy a good sound bar for your tv. I bought one for my father and it works really well for tv, so much better than the tv own sound. Then have a mono floorstander for music, it could do double duty as bass augmentation for the sound bar even.

I was at first skeptical about sound bars, but the reality changed my opinion. I did not buy a cheap one.