Single to Dual woofers conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What woofer are you replacing by exactly what woofer? It is not common to offer the same woofer with the choice of either a single 4 ohms coil or a double 4 ohms coil. If more things differ than the coil only, the crossover must be redesigned. What loudspeaker (system) did you have in mind?

Last edited:
Sorry for the incomplete information. The woofers for conversion are same as the original. For the crossover networks, I’ve already redesigned them. The speaker system for this project is ADS L990.

All in all, I got a pair of their woofers, so I planned to convert them to a bigger one. But the problem is I’m worried about the tonal balance since the woofer section will be change from 4 ohms system to 8 ohms system, two 4 ohms woofers wiring in series.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
When the amplifier supplies the same signal, you have half the current, that's half the power -3dB. There is a +3dB acoustic advantage when using two woofers. Thus 0dB.

You can see it another way.. each driver gets half the voltage and passes half the current, that's -6dB per driver. Two drivers together get a total advantage of +6dB (3 is for combining the power and 3 is acoustic). Total = 0dB

Adding a second woofer and a second amplifier, therefore giving twice the cone area and twice the power, gives +6dB

Halving the power gives -3dB. Therefore adding a second woofer (doubling cone area) but wiring for the same impedance as a single woofer (same power) gives +3dB.

I got same case from my dual-opposed subwoofer build using 2 of 4ohm drivers. the real question is not about SPL changes but more to your amplifier capabilities.

if you wired them in paralel then 2ohm load is really a challenging one for your amp, then wiring is series is your Only option. or build a second amp for each driver.

anyway it's still unclear whether this is about passive xo for these 2 drivers or active one

What will happen if I change the woofers from a single 4-ohm unit to dual 8-ohm units (two 4-ohm wiring in series)? Will the SPL change, increase or decrease? Does it have any advantages or disadvantages?

As others said before. If the two new woofers in series are very close, SPL should be the same (- 3dB due to new lower voltage and current for each driver and +3 dB because the two cone radiating areas will sum = 0 net spl change).
Advantage is that each of the new woofers will run at lower power and having less cone excursion may produce less distortion. Kinda improved "efficiency" in terms of amplifier power v. spl for the lower freq.

Disadvantage. You have to check the crossover impedance curve and the amplifier power response as a function of load impedance (for woofers and tweeter if it's a two way speaker).

Each amp behaves different, so mismatches between low and high frequency impedance could result or not in a complete different overall speaker spl response.
As a general rule the lower load impedance you have the amp will deliver more power (amp solicitation increases at lower load impedance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.