BH 5 damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well IMO an equivalent to BH5 is not difficult to knock up using
cheap vinyl floor tiles, structural foam and acoustic foam.

Personally not convinced about the " septum barrier" when used
in a loudspeaker but it it does make sense for large wall isolation.

Its not sold in the EU as far as I know.

:) sreten.

Sreten
don't underestimate the "power"of BH5
It is thàt good.
Zalytron is cheaper and from NY which is "closer"to Europe regarding shipping costs. It is the shipping costs that is expensive as BH 5 is very heavy Unless you choose for surface shipping (by boat, 4-6 weeks)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
BH5 is quite heavy stuff. I had considered buying regular foam, and then other dampening materials to try to make my own version of it, but after calculating all the costs, I decided to just buy BH5, as it is very easy to use with the adhesive backed sheets.

It took me 5 sheets per speaker (12"x18" sheets from Parts Express)

Here are some pictures:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/focal-raven-tl

Good luck finding some in Europe. It is distributed by the same company that distributes Focal, PHL and Raven.

--
Brian

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
kyrill said:
Hi Brian

I have an almost similar choice as yours.

Focal 10W 6452 woofer http://www.zalytron.com/pictures/10WSpecifications.pdf

Focal Audiom 6wm their current best midtrange (preferred x-over 200hz) and a Raven substitute

Aurum Cantus G3, sorry for the moving picture

Sounds like a great combination. I was considering making a 3-way with the Raven R2, Focal 10W6411 and the 6wm, but didn't have the extra cash, and stuck with the 2-way.

How come you choose the 10W6452 over the 10W6411? It looks like the 10W6411 is newer and cheaper.

I hope it works out well for you. I am still considering the 3-way for the future.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.