Who wants to help build something like this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not a speaker designer or engineer, just a curious designer who's been obsessed with horns for some time.

I've always been amazed there aren't many options when it comes to horn speakers - especially conical horn speakers. The only ones I can find from the likes of OMA or Avantgarde are tens of thousands of dollars.

I want to build something based around a JBL 2446 in a conical horn and a faital pro 12 or 15 woofer. I mocked up a really rough design of a speaker design I've struggled to find from an aesthetic point of view that I find pleasing. Of course this could be created in many different finishes.

IOSb7dN.png

Any takers? :)

(This is of course just for fun)

- can't be of much help but admit its aesthetics are good and with proper crossover and appropriate amplifier, should make a fine 2 way system.

The discussion probably will be moved to "Multi-Way" where there will be more interaction and ideas

maybe pick a more contrasting background than white on white

9BBbJwy.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since you posted this in full range forum, you could do this with something like an SB65WBAC25-4 in a Faital Pro LTH142 horn designed for 1.4in CD. It sounds really good - and cross over around 600Hz to 800Hz with a pro woofer of your choice. Leave off the synergy style woofer that I did here and you would have a similar system. Just not coaxial anymore. It would still sound great though. The compression drivers will have a hard time crossing that low, plus they just don’t sound as smooth as a fullrange.

526756d1453501391-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-long-adapter-photo.png

526844d1453538138-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-lth142-eq-6th-fdw-polar.png

A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

I guess I'm looking for someone to help build a prototype - like I said I have no experience building speakers - I'm a designer (interior ) by trade. 3D printing the horn sounds really interesting!

It's difficult to find horn speakers that look great and don't cost tens of thousands..

Any advice on finding

- Cabinet makers (East Coast)
- 3d printers
- Anything else I'm forgetting :)

I think these could be really awesome speakers!

I guess I'm looking for someone to help build a prototype - like I said I have no experience building speakers - I'm a designer (interior ) by trade. 3D printing the horn sounds really interesting!

It's difficult to find horn speakers that look great and don't cost tens of thousands..

Any advice on finding

- Cabinet makers (East Coast)
- 3d printers
- Anything else I'm forgetting :)

I think these could be really awesome speakers!

How about someone with a measurement mic to do some crossover design?
FWIW, my woodworking is probably good enough for a prototype, but I tend to stick with simple cabinet designs.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.