Sb acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you Google

Jeff Bagby Mandolin
Jeff Bagby Piccolo

you will find the kits at meniscusaudio.com -plus- many posts from diy'ers who built the original design or made modifications which may interest you.

Mandolin Loudspeaker Kit - Meniscus Audio

Piccolo Full Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio
=========

To explore the different "tone" available from different drivers, I would also suggest that you read a few diy builds using the SB_Acoustics aluminum cone drivers SB17NAC35-4 midbass and SB26ADC-C000-4 dome tweeter like the SBAcoustics 61-NAC from Troels Gravensen. diyAudio has a couple designs.

SBAcoustics-61-NAC

Has anyone come across the Piccolo or Mandolin projects from Jeff Bagby? We were very interested, I would like to know more about them.

I built the Piccolos and am very happy with them. They are sealed even though the plans call for ported. Personally I prefer tighter bass and am willing to give up some low end extension in order to get it. I listen entirely to classical music and they provide a very enjoyable listening experience.

I have no other point of reference for a 2-way comparison, but find it hard to believe that you can do much better at $316 for the bare bones kit. I went the full route with Meniscus providing all the needed parts and assembling the crossovers for $418, Even that I think is a bargain for this level of performance.

The Piccolos are a testimony to the unique design ability that Jeff Bagby possessed. Jeff was able to get great sound out of modestly priced components. He will be sadly missed.

When you buy the kit from Meniscus Audio you get a full set of plans for both the cabinet and the crossover. If you want to know more about the cabinet before ordering it, they will send you a cabinet outline drawing. You have to wait for the kit to arrive before getting the detailed cabinet and crossover information.

If you are asking me to send the information to you the answer is no. You have to buy the kit from Meniscus.

Last edited:
I understand that it could be very expensive to have the kit shipped from the US to you, so there might be another way. Contact Mark at Meniscus and see if he will sell you the cabinet plans and crossover schematic.

I have a hunch he might do that for a reasonable fee. Then you can buy the drivers and components locally and eliminate the high shipping costs.

But no one should be providing that information to you for free. It is proprietary to Meniscus.

Mark's email is meniscusaudio@gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.