What is this resistor used for? (Schematic provided)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the schematic of a 2-way crossover network. I have a doubt on it. Could anyone help to clarify me, please?

1. For the cone driver section, what is the order of the network? Is it 1st order with impedance equalization circuit or second order with modified slope?
2. What is the responsibility of R1?
3. Someone had told me that the duty of R1 is to modify the slope of 2nd order to be less than 12 dB/octave, was it right?
4. If R1 is definitely a modifier of slope, to be less than 12dB/octave, how to calculate the value?
5. Can R1 and C1 be switched positions to each other?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• E21140B3-EEC9-46BD-A920-5565686A71F1.jpeg
    E21140B3-EEC9-46BD-A920-5565686A71F1.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
1. For the cone driver section, what is the order of the network? Is it 1st order with impedance equalization circuit or second order with modified slope?
Those two can end up being essentially the same thing, depending on how you look at things. One uses impedance equalization so that the rising impedance does not disrupt the slope of the filter. In the second case, the end goal is still to control the roll-off slope. Guessing the specific purpose would need an analysis involving the impedance of the woofer too.
2. What is the responsibility of R1?
In relation with C, it sets the frequency where that leg transitions from mostly resistive to mostly capacitive.

4. If R1 is definitely a modifier of slope, to be less than 12dB/octave, how to calculate the value?
You use Ohm's law with complex impedances to solve for the transfer function (really just a frequency dependent voltage divider here) then solve for the components' values in terms of your desired transfer function. ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Here are some examples of a "Zobel" calculator. I have found several different online calculators and some of them give different values for C but usually the same value for R.

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/zobel-filter-calculator.asp#cc

ERSE - Crossover Calculator - Zobel Circuit

Impedance Equalization (L-Pad) Circuit Designer / Calculator

Speaker Zobel / Impedance Equalization Network Circuit Calculator

One calculator asks for the frequency where the impedance doubles.

It is helpful to have not only the OEM spec sheet (static values) but also a plot of the impedance curve. Usually the Le is measured at only 1 KHz; for much higher crossovers; I would also like to see this measurement at 10 KHz but that is rarely published.

What are these drivers; make, model number, any markings or clues whatsoever???

oldspkrguy, thanks a lot for your information. I think I may know the zobel circuit, but for the question, I’m not sure whether my provided circuit is zobel or not. Please see the attached schematic at original post again.

For the information of the driver, it is commercial speakers, ADS L620.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well, it would perform that function in that configuration BUT; there may be other reasons why those exact values of R and C were chosen as others have said before me. I am curious; do you know what make or model number these drivers are; are there any markings, numbers, etc???

If you knew what the EXACT drivers were; with some luck; you could find the spec sheets; FR and impedance curves, etc. then zero in on what influence the entire crossover has. Without that information; it's just an educated guess. Does the ADS L620 give these types of details or just a general description???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.