Dipole In-Room-Response Target

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

for Monopol loudspeakers exists some target curves for the in room response (linke from toole, harman, etc.).

Are they adjustible to a dipole speaker?
Some of the diy folks try to get a perfect dipole response to the back and the front as high as possible (8-20khz). But this lead mostly to an even (or near even) In-Room-Response. And regarding toole this is not the target for a monopole speaker.
If wie usw a cone speaker for >2khz, then wie have generally a less spl on the backside of this cone. The resulting in room response will look more like the toole curve for untrained listeners.

Do you have experience with the best target curve for a Dipole?

Best regards, Tomas

Last edited:
Well, dipoles are all different and not perfect dipoles through the audio band. Most are monopole in tweeter range above 3kHz and the a "normal" slope should be ok.

Anyway, if you are making and adjusting speakers for yourself, just trust your ears an find the room curve that sounds best for you, your speakers in your room!

Hi Jahuzi,

you use for example the BG neo3 pdr where you get a flat in room response for high frequency.

If you use the FRS 5x or another 2" driver you get a in room response like this :
Zielkurve zur Kompensation des Bundelungsverhaltens - Seite 2 - Visaton Diskussionsforum (See the picture from Rudolf)

What is better? What listening experience do you get if you damp the high frequency on the backside with your gradient speaker?

Can't say about Visaton, but here are my measurements with Fountek Neo3.5 with and without backside tweeter. Later on I got the B&G Neoe 3PDR. I have bad hearing of high freq, but I can hear these differences. Flat spot response is ok for me and my speakers sitting in front of windows!

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...aborative-speaker-project-42.html#post3761585

And a few posts later comparison of response with and without. Room responses on later posts. Yes I liked the backside tweeter effect on sound!
391219d1388686864-aino-gradient-collaborative-speaker-project-ainogneob-v2-vs-neo-v11-0-decay-csd-png

Last edited:
Generally i got the same information from the Website of SL. If someone adds a backside tweeter the overall soundquality gets better.

Did somebody of you test an 2" driver for the the frequencys?

The result should be something between 1. only front dome tweeter 2. back and front tweeter.

A small come has very ragged on-axis response and dispersion on the backside, because of it's spider and motor structure. But obviously it's total radiated energy i roughly same front/back. Uneven dispeersion will most likely make it sound a little different from a dome tweeter mounted on backside.

The advantage of dual units is that you can play with polarity, filter and spl. Passive needs components and active needs one more dsp channel.

Planar open back tweeters have best symmetry in dispersion front/back! But to manipulate backside radiation one must use tricks like superlon sheets. I chose to not manipulate.

Attachments

• ainogneo83 vx out 0-180 polar.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx out 0-180 polar.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
That response was quasi-anechoic. Room response that my dipoles produce and I like is almost flat, some measurements here. I don't use EQ for room modes!

Attachments

• ainogneo83 conf3 vs conf3+ room spot  500ms 148.jpg
    ainogneo83 conf3 vs conf3+ room spot 500ms 148.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 103
  • ainogneo83 conf3+ 200220 spot.jpg
    ainogneo83 conf3+ 200220 spot.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 102
  • ainogneo83 v4c L rta mmm.jpg
    ainogneo83 v4c L rta mmm.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 100
  • ainogneo83 v4c LR varimic ave 500ms.jpg
    ainogneo83 v4c LR varimic ave 500ms.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ok jahuzi, these are some useful information to this topic. Thank you. For higher frequencies (over 2,5khz) i got one additional target response curve for a Dipol (with two manger driver; one in the back and one in the front), Herr:
Zielkurven (See last picture)

For the high frequencies you get alomst the same like in the picture from jahuzi.

Thanks for the help!

B&G Neo 3 serves me and measures well. There are many other planar/AMT tweeters available now, but I have no need or desire to test them! No more need for dipoles either...

Neo 3 production has ceased but they are still available on eBay and some shops. Quality (consistency) is said to be a problem, but my 4 units measured the same. ( I have pair of Neo8 and Neo3 in reserve)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.