Bluetooth Speaker with "programmable equalizer"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I'm trying to do my first project with DIY Audio. I have found a old radio in the shed, a big wooden box from GDR times.
After checking it it did not seem to work and there are not that many circuit diagrams for that exact model so I figured I would try converting it into a bluetooth speaker (not a portable one but still).
I found this youtube video of someone building a 2.1 bluetooth speaker and thought that I might be able to pull that off: YouTube
I wanted to maybe change it up a little bit as some parts would be easier for me to aquire, the whole voltmeter part would also be left out because it does not fit the aesthetic of the old radio.

I now have some questions for parts and compatibility. I wanted to go for a "Class D" amplifier: TPA3116 2.1 Klasse D Digital Verstarkerplatine Amplifier Board 100W + 2x50W DE | eBay. It has 2x50W and 1x100W output. I also wanted to use crossovers: 2-Stuck V-150 2 Wege Frequenzweiche Crossover Weiche 150W 4-8Ohm 3-3,8kHz 12dB | eBay (sorry that all components are from german ebay).

As I am really completely new to this: first question: would the amplifier and crossovers be able to work in this configuration? Also: what should I look for when looking for drivers for this setup.

My second question for that matter would be how to arrange the insides of the speaker or is that information given in some way in the specifications for a driver. Maybe it isnt really necessary, I dont want to have the utmost high quality sound.

The bluetooth receiver part shouldn't be to hard to pull off. But I would like to add one last thing: a kind of "pre-amp" (?). I don't know the terminology but to describe what I want to achieve: I know that there are adjustable equalizer pre-amps like this: Stereo EQ Equalizer Board 15 Band 2.0 Kanal Vorverstarker Ton verstellbar Preamp | eBay. On the front of the radio are buttons labeled "Bass", "Jazz", "Voice", and so on. This would correspond to some kind of EQ-Setting (for example on a smartphone). My third question is: is there some form of "programmable equalizer" to achieve this change of EQ-settings on button press?

Thanks for any help, I know my questions are pretty broad (at least the second one) but maybe there is a quick answer to that. I don't want to get into creating speakers for eternity (at least for now, maybe this will change), so I really dont want to spend money on a book.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
To your first question, yes this would work. You would want a pair of tweeters and a pair of woofers. There is much that can be improved but I can see this is where you are up to at this point.

It seems you want to match your bluetooth section to your amps, and include volume control and equalisation. You can do this already with your phone, but want to add an EQ.

To your first question, yes this would work. You would want a pair of tweeters and a pair of woofers. There is much that can be improved but I can see this is where you are up to at this point.

It seems you want to match your bluetooth section to your amps, and include volume control and equalisation. You can do this already with your phone, but want to add an EQ.

Thank you for your answer, then I will go for this configuration.

Yes I could do this with my phone and this "feature" really isn't the most important but I would like to try using some of the original buttons of the radio and it has these buttons that would have changed the sound profile to have more bass or similar. I thought that maybe it would be possible to recreate the function of these buttons using some kind of digital method. And I'm almost certain that something like this exists, I'm just lacking the terminology.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's possible, and you could add it later as well.

Consider your bluetooth unit. What outputs does it have? This will be useful when deciding what can be connected to it. You may have already considered this when selecting your amp, otherwise this would be a good time to decide what should go between them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.