Speaker Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Current system: Akitika PR-102 preamp and GT-102 power amp with Bose Interaudio 4000 speakers. I'm currently considering 3 sets of speakers for my next upgrade, and would like to know if driving any of these with the Akitikas would be asking for trouble. Also if one jumps out as a much better fit than the others, since I won't be able to hear the last two before making a purchase.

Option 1: A pair of nicely reconditioned JBL L100 speakers from a friend. They were put in nice wood cabinets about a year ago and got everything that needs to be replaced over time upgraded, so they sound better than new. They'll be about $2500 plus 5 hours in the car with the friends and family discount.

Option 2: A pair of Polk LSiM707 since it's that time of the year for Polk's half off sale. After tax (grrrr) that'll be about $2150 for the pair. This seems to be the most questionable for whether or not the Akitika will drive it. I seem to remember reading that these needed a beefy class D amp somewhere, but I could be thinking of something else.

Option 3: Save some more money and get a really pretty Seas Odin pair as pictured on Madisound instead of one of these. Seas Odin Speaker Kit - PAIR

Joined 2011
Hold off for now, you MUST hear speakers before buying them.
Otherwise you'll be likely to regret buying, unless you can easily resell them
for no loss. The JBLs are very much an either love it or hate it situation,
and these are the originals, not the redesigned current version.
Remember $2000 is still a lot of money.

Last edited:
Generally I would want to hear speakers first, but it's not like there's anywhere I can go to demo an Odin kit before buying one. From what I've read it sounds like something I would like a lot.

I have heard these JBLs and like them. With everything that was done to them there isn't much of a risk of not being able to resell them if I changed my mind in the future.

The Polks vs Odin is really where I'm hoping to get some input from others. I've heard the Polk SDA SRS driven by vintage Nakamichi gear with some DIY improvements and was pretty impressed with those, but have no idea if their current speakers are anything like the SDAs.

Generally speaking, DIY builds or kits will give you a lot more /better speaker for your money. Remember that a huge amount of the money you'd pay for the polks will go toward things like marketing, CEO pay, etc. With the kit it basically all goes to components plus a bit for the vendor selling the kit.

I haven't heard any of the models you've mentioned, but I would bet that seas kit would destroy the polks.

Well..if I were to take the plunge on the Seas Odin with everything needed to make it as pretty as the stock pic at Madisound that puts me within striking distance of getting the Audio Note Kit Speaker 03 with their Audio Note clone box (unless there's a better box for the Speaker 03). Does that seem like a better idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.