Lockdown project Nostalgia build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK So maybe I'm just bored but I have almost finished the new shed build and soon I will have a workshop of sorts.
I've had some drivers sitting on the shelf for yonks and it's about time I either used them or chucked them out.:rofl:

I'm thinking 1970's Japanese Rock&Roll speakers using a little Coral woofer I salvaged 30 years ago as the midrange.
It was labeled 10watts input when I grabbed it off the street in a pile of stuff. Box was rotten and no other parts salvageable
It got very hot using it in something else so I glued a heat sink to the magnet back, scrapped that experiment but kept the driver.
I have a pair of 15" woofers from a Jaycar party box and a selection of old cone tweeters and cheap dome midranges
Input asked for but somewhere in the stash would be a pair of old Tandy 3-Way crossovers that might suit this sort of cobbled together junk or I could find enough bits to assemble a near enough good enough project. Then use it in the shed until it blows up

Attachments

• IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 93
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
That woofer has a "Stiff as all hell" accordion pleat and only 3mm of travel and I'm still looking for the old catalogue with the factory specs in.
I have a pair of the old radio Shack domes but they are different batches so not exactly alike, one has a big dimple and felt inside the other is flat and no felt pad. The Coral woofer originally ran straight and a small cap on a sealed back tweeter as is typical for the era with cheap speakers.
Some "cheap" drivers were very very good, unfortunately most are not.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just found the old catalogue
Aussies might be interested
It is # CW 2131
Modelling suggests the best / recommended box gives a Super Boom Box response which makes perfect sense seeing as it was a woofer for a party box. Still it might be worth the playing with during lockdown

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have used radio shack dome before, nice sounding unit. Thats all i got...
Good luck.

Nostalgia often seems to sound better.
Did you use it with the included 10uF capacitor as supplied or work up a better XO?
Going through my box of tricks I have a stack of old Greencaps in various values [ bought when on clearance] and a few cheap polypropylene in 5.6uF that I might be able to use.
Currently still working on new shelving and storage space so as yet no work bench
EDIT
I did ask a similar question a long while ago but nobody came back with any extra information. With an Fs of ~600Hz I was thinking that a standard book XO would work well enough using the cheap 5.6uF caps would be "good enough"

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.