Help me recover this Philips DW750 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi so I have this speakers the Woox what is called is I guess its the passive radiator is peeling of, I want to take apart the drivers and maybe move it to another box, I don't know what I am supposed to do with the woox. Its supposed to be a bass reflex, can you help what design is this, If its bass reflex why is there another passive drive or is it a active driver. I have to figure out how to take it apart .
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, please attach pictures of your speakers (external and internal) by clicking on the paperclip symbol in the 'Go Advanced' reply box.
Oh sorry I had attached the picture I couldn't find the attachment options and yes I don't know how to open the box it's like really sealed

Attachments

• Wtlffta.jpg
    Wtlffta.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 63
  • woox.jpeg
    woox.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 72
  • xoox.jpeg
    xoox.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I don't know how to open the box it's like really sealed
No it isn't, it's just a matter of glue and joints. A knife or a screwdriver used as a lever to break the initial resistance and the job is done. There might be some inner inserted joints, just use a bigger lever.
About the passive radiator job, well, later....:p
Edit, since there is a hole in the back ( the bass reflex duct port ) it is not a passive radiator, so it's a woofer

Usually that style of plastic fronted speaker require the front to be pried off with a large screwdriver - it usually breaks the plastic, no loss, they look bad anyway... & the box is usually thin chipboard. There are usually plastic nubs protruding into holes in the chipboard, & the front is glued or press fitted on. Just take your time & work around the edge as you pry it off. FWIW I find that most drivers in this style of cabinet aren't worth the effort, some Japanese brands maybe.... but you won't know until you do it

SPEAKERS
Front speakers
System ................................................... 3-way, Bass reflex
Impedance ........................................................................ 3 Ω
Speaker drivers ............................................ 6.5" woofer,
................................................................................. 2" tweeter
Frequency response ........................ 50 Hz – 20 kHz
Dimensions (w × h × d) ...................................................
..................................................... 240 × 350 × 310 (mm)
Weight .......................................................... 4.352 kg/each

wOOx technology is a revolutionary loudspeaker concept that allows you to hear and feel profoundly deep bass that is richer than any other audio system. Special speaker drivers work in harmony with the wOOx bass radiator, and precise tuning between the main driver and the tweeter ensures smooth transitions from low-mid to high frequencies.

wOOx technology from Wikipedia
The wOOx radiator incorporates a mass element in the center of its diaphragm, which is used to adjust the tuning frequency of the loudspeaker enclosure. In this sense, a loudspeaker enclosure with passive radiators emulates a mass-spring system, much like the helmholtz resonator devices (bass reflex ports) more commonly used to tune loudspeaker enclosures. However, the amount of mass suspended on a passive radiator diaphragm enables extremely deep tuning frequencies to be possible in small enclosures. However, like any passive radiator system, it is possible to damage the bass radiator by driving it beyond its mechanical limits. To avoid this, some wOOx systems use an additional reflex vent, having the same tuning as the wOOx radiator. This relieves excess pressure that could tear the bass radiator apart.

FWIW I find that most drivers in this style of cabinet aren't worth the effort, some Japanese brands maybe.... but you won't know until you do it

So the woox is just another driver, my idea is to rip off the woox since its all torn (I still don't know why they couldn't make it to endure environmental condition with their revolutionary technology) and just use the active driver and make a bassreflex out of it in another box with some other tuning of the port. I don't know how feasible it it is but this is the best i can think of.

Did a similar thing with Aiwa SX-L700

You gotta understand, this kind of driver technology is truly a pos category, but I managed to improve the sound by designing a proper xo filter unlike the original single cap on each of the tweeters. Threw away the plastic front, added an 18 mm veneered chipboard as baffle, did some cabinet bracing and veneered the rest. Unlike the original looks, now this is presentable enough to be a keeper. Grilles have been salvaged from another high quality piece of junk. Piezo tweeter went to a bin, kept the cone tweeter naturally.

edit: first photo I found online, the rest are mine.

Attachments

• aiwa sx l 700.jpg
    aiwa sx l 700.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Mod1.jpg
    Mod1.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Mod2.jpg
    Mod2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 47
  • Before1.jpg
    Before1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
pos = piece of shxt! - but you won't know until you test them - unless the woofer has a magnet that is way too small then I wouldn't bother - small magnet drivers usually have a Qts that is way to high unless you're going Open Baffle or using it for a mid only. Do they sound any good to you? Post pics once you get them open

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.