miniDSP SHD Studio + DDRC for Linkwitz LX521 Reference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tubenstein et a. - feel free to ask me (even PM) about setting up minidsp configurations. I dont have LX521, but a diy 4-way dipole. It was quite a journey to learn to measure and set up dsp, but I just love dipole sound, learned it already in '90s with Gradient 1.3.

I found these pages helpful, another view than SL
Musicanddesing NaO speakers by Kreskowsky (closed now!)
Dipolplus - Alles über offene Schallwände by Finke (English summary available)
HifiZine tech articles by Reekie eg. Prototyping a 4-way open-baffle speaker with the miniDSP 2x4

Thank you for your offering!! So keep in touch!

I like dipole speakers, if I have a big room, I absolutely get a pair of Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 rather than the Linkwitz.

Friend of mine has 1.3 as well, great speakers. I have used to the Gradient dipole bass for the Quad ESL 63 in the past.

these pure audio proejct nonsense is not even remotely scientific. there is a reason linkwitz has complex dsp filters, baffle with varying degree of width etc.
i dont know if it has changed, but atleast their previous speakers were really dumb. reminded me of hawthorne audio raineer, another terrible design.

Last edited:
You are so right - The Celestion 6000 was a very fine system and some people used the SL700 honey comb aluminum cabinet satellite's as an upgrade to using the SL600si's. At the time I felt it gave the cost no object systems a serious run for their money. On the other hand it's about two decades later and what the dear departed Mr Linkwitz achieved takes it all to another level another dimension another you are there and they are here music revelation. The LX521 is simply extraordinary. And if your room is smaller and you don't need quite as triple forte crescendo levels, the LX Mini Studio is it's equal when matched with the right amps, source, etc. As a parting comment I'll just say any set up that doesn't take into account the room, simply cannot do justice to the recording. When it's done right it's magic!

You are so right - The Celestion 6000 was a very fine system and some people used the SL700 honey comb aluminum cabinet satellite's as an upgrade to using the SL600si's. At the time I felt it gave the cost no object systems a serious run for their money. On the other hand it's about two decades later and what the dear departed Mr Linkwitz achieved takes it all to another level another dimension another you are there and they are here music revelation. The LX521 is simply extraordinary. And if your room is smaller and you don't need quite as triple forte crescendo levels, the LX Mini Studio is it's equal when matched with the right amps, source, etc. As a parting comment I'll just say any set up that doesn't take into account the room, simply cannot do justice to the recording. When it's done right it's magic!

The stacked Quad ESL 57 with Townshend supertweeter and Mirage BPSS-210 bipolar subwoofer is one of my dream speakers. but it surpasses most stuff out there but seriously lacks of dynamics :-(

This is the main reason I consider to have the LX521 setup for best compromise

these pure audio proejct nonsense is not even remotely scientific. there is a reason linkwitz has complex dsp filters, baffle with varying degree of width etc.
i dont know if it has changed, but atleast their previous speakers were really dumb. reminded me of hawthorne audio raineer, another terrible design.

No matter for what. The Pure Audio Project open baffle sounds really musical. It might have some areas not as good as the Linkwitz LX521 but still sounds very good! Sonic quality is first priority :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.