Crossover? Woofer? Test method?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...why is the distortion rising after about 5k in both my distortion graphs?
You haven't payed the distortion tax. I can process that for you, just PayPal me $666 to oldpink@thefunnyfarmchalfont.org :p

Or, it *could* be the dented tweeters but more likely a resonance of the 5" woofers going out of control. Lay the speaker on the ground face up, measure. Put thick towels carefully over the tweeter, re-measure. Also, run a gliding sweep tone. Repeat with/without towels, that should let you hear if it's the woofer or tweeter. CAREFUL TO STAY AT LOW VOLUME or you may need to replace those tweeters after all. The dent probably cause some additional distortion but nothing to sweat about. If you don't like the look replace.

You haven't payed the distortion tax. I can process that for you, just PayPal me $666 to oldpink@thefunnyfarmchalfont.org :p

Or, it *could* be the dented tweeters but more likely a resonance of the 5" woofers going out of control. Lay the speaker on the ground face up, measure. Put thick towels carefully over the tweeter, re-measure. Also, run a gliding sweep tone. Repeat with/without towels, that should let you hear if it's the woofer or tweeter. CAREFUL TO STAY AT LOW VOLUME or you may need to replace those tweeters after all. The dent probably cause some additional distortion but nothing to sweat about. If you don't like the look replace.

Unlikely. The breakup on the woofer causes distortion higher than where his is. He also said he built the Zaph project. Unless he built the crossover wrong, the breakup is suppressed in that design.

Zaph|Audio - ZA14W08 Woofer

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/ZA5.2-FR-individual.gif

Unlikely. The breakup on the woofer causes distortion higher than where his is. He also said he built the Zaph project. Unless he built the crossover wrong, the breakup is suppressed in that design.

Zaph|Audio - ZA14W08 Woofer

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/ZA5.2-FR-individual.gif
Yes this is what I built. The 2.5way TMM.

Now I am confused even more. Is it really just a cosmetic change? Am I just imagining audible differences because I know it's measuring different/wrong?

Yes this is what I built. The 2.5way TMM.

Now I am confused even more. Is it really just a cosmetic change? Am I just imagining audible differences because I know it's measuring different/wrong?

I don’t think so. You should be able to hear an audible difference in the tweeters with the distortion that high. I can tell you I would be able to. I’ve heard speakers that had distortion issues less than this in the top end that sounded audibly off to me and then when measured showed the distortion spike.

So one way is just to play a slow glide tone and see if there's a point where it sounds different (and if that corresponds to the spot on the chart. Or discrete tones done blind with an accomplice.

Can you hear the 1% 21kHz 3rd harmonic on pure tones? Your dog might and armeker claims to be able to. But not a chance with music (since harmonics are already always everywhere in acoustic music).

B.

So one way is just to play a slow glide tone and see if there's a point where it sounds different (and if that corresponds to the spot on the chart. Or discrete tones done blind with an accomplice.

Can you hear the 1% 21kHz 3rd harmonic on pure tones? Your dog might and armeker claims to be able to. But not a chance with music (since harmonics are already always everywhere in acoustic music).

B.

Seriously? You are arguing points that I never made. You’ve clearly have no understanding of how distortion actually works or is measured. See how the distortion graph stops at 10 kHz? That’s because we don’t measure anything that would put a harmonic outside of the audible frequency range. Third order stops getting measured at 6.6 kHz.

We also aren’t - and I continually have to point this out - talking about 1% distortion. We are talking 30-FREAKIN-%. That is a huge difference and it starts climbing well above the 1% level well before the peak. If the levels really were hovering right around 1% I would say don’t worry about it.

Have you ever seen or heard a driver with this much distortion? I have. There are really only two ways to get distortion that high in a driver: 1) drive it WELL past xmax or 2) have something physically damaged/rubbing/misaligned.

Given that being driven well past xmax is going to affect the low end of a drive unit first, and the facts that the low end of the tweeter range is fine and he would have to play at levels that would damage the woofer to cause the required excursion on a tweeter with a crossover installed, that is obviously not the problem here.

Seriously? You are arguing points that I never made. You’ve clearly have no understanding of how distortion actually works or is measured. See how the distortion graph stops at 10 kHz? That’s because we don’t measure anything that would put a harmonic outside of the audible frequency range. Third order stops getting measured at 6.6 kHz.

We also aren’t - and I continually have to point this out - talking about 1% distortion. We are talking 30-FREAKIN-%. That is a huge difference and it starts climbing well above the 1% level well before the peak. If the levels really were hovering right around 1% I would say don’t worry about it.

Have you ever seen or heard a driver with this much distortion? I have. There are really only two ways to get distortion that high in a driver: 1) drive it WELL past xmax or 2) have something physically damaged/rubbing/misaligned.

Given that being driven well past xmax is going to affect the low end of a drive unit first, and the facts that the low end of the tweeter range is fine and he would have to play at levels that would damage the woofer to cause the required excursion on a tweeter with a crossover installed, that is obviously not the problem here.
Great explanation. Thankyou so much. Replacement being ordered right away sir!

Great explanation. Thankyou so much. Replacement being ordered right away sir!

Please post the new tests when you are up and running and have the nerve.

I am puzzled where the 30% an 40% figures come from. Mistaking the dB scale for a % scale? The band with higher distortion appears to be about 40dB below the fundamental which is 1% and the fundamental freq plot has no knee there.

B.

Please post the new tests when you are up and running and have the nerve.

I am puzzled where the 30% an 40% figures come from. Mistaking the dB scale for a % scale? The band with higher distortion appears to be about 40dB below the fundamental which is 1% and the fundamental freq plot has no knee there.

B.

The plot show a fundamental (the actual frequency response) in absolute SPL versus the distortion in actual SPL. A percentage isn’t shown. You have to calculate it. The peak distortion is only 10 dB down from the fundamental, meaning it is 30% distortion. The fundamental should never have a knee there. Again, this shows your lack of understanding of how distortion works. Do you think a woofer that is driven past it’s limits and has 20-30% bass distortion at 30 hZ has a big peak at 30 Hz because of this? It most definitely does not.

The plot show a fundamental (the actual frequency response) in absolute SPL versus the distortion in actual SPL. A percentage isn’t shown. You have to calculate it. The peak distortion is only 10 dB down from the fundamental, meaning it is 30% distortion.

Looks like you need new eyeglasses and maybe also to learn something about dBs, and manners.... before you post your abusive language again, please.

In the band of interest, there is a tiny narrow peak maybe 15-25dB (L or R) below the fundamental but most of the distortion in that band is in the -40dB region - and those harmonics inaudible to almost everybody, yourself excepted.

Ask your piccolo player to avoid that note.

Not likely that any mechanical damage like an off-centre VC is causing the very narrow band damage or that random impact would have identical consequences for both drivers. Might well be the mic or some object in the room.

B.

Last edited:
Looks like you need new eyeglasses and maybe also to learn something about dBs, and manners.... before you post your abusive language again, please.

In the band of interest, there is a tiny narrow peak maybe 15-25dB (L or R) below the fundamental but most of the distortion in that band is in the -40dB region - and those harmonics inaudible to almost everybody, yourself excepted.

Ask your piccolo player to avoid that note.

Not likely that any mechanical damage like an off-centre VC is causing the very narrow band damage or that random impact would have identical consequences for both drivers. Might well be the mic or some object in the room.

B.

Come on man, you are being ridiculous here. How did I use abusive language? Telling you that you don’t know what you’re talking about is not abusive. I never once name called or threatened you. You are the one who keeps making snide remarks about me even though you are posting things not based on a full understanding of how distortion works and laughably trying to argue about how high the actual distortion is when it’s plain to see on the graph. You didn’t even understand how to convert it to % to begin with and still tried to argue. Just let it go. There is no harm in being wrong. Being wrong is only an issue if you aren’t willing to learn. I can explain to you in more detail how distortion works if you are interested, but I’m guess you don’t wan that.

I wanted to post an update since I just got the tweeters replaced! @bentoronto @head_unit @armeker

These measurements are made @ 1 Meter, on axis, 1/6 smoothing.

I am not sure if my tweeters were wired wrong before, but my speakers are totally different sounding now!

I am a believer that dented tweeters DO affect sound!

Attachments

• 89547322_2520256588187287_3877470206808817664_n.jpg
    89547322_2520256588187287_3877470206808817664_n.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 89266447_254295568917715_639467888176005120_n.jpg
    89266447_254295568917715_639467888176005120_n.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 75
I wanted to post an update since I just got the tweeters replaced! @bentoronto @head_unit @armeker

These measurements are made @ 1 Meter, on axis, 1/6 smoothing.

I am not sure if my tweeters were wired wrong before, but my speakers are totally different sounding now!

I am a believer that dented tweeters DO affect sound!

Those graphs look more like what they are supposed to. It looks like the dent not only impacted the distortion but lowered a little bit of top end output. Everything above 5 kHz was impacted on the dent. You didn't hook anything up wrong, you just got your speaker working how it should be removing a damaged unit.

Those graphs look more like what they are supposed to. It looks like the dent not only impacted the distortion but lowered a little bit of top end output. Everything above 5 kHz was impacted on the dent. You didn't hook anything up wrong, you just got your speaker working how it should be removing a damaged unit.

That's great news! Thankyou for that!

Also it keeps worrying me, I didn't chamfer the insides of the woofer cutouts, and Zaph za5 driver page recommends a 45 degree chamfer for better airflow, mine is just cut straight. Do you think that will be making a difference? Would it be worth going through the trouble of redoing the baffles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.